Anyone have a white chassis 101B and what do you think

• Thread starter Thread starter rockerjt
  • Start date Start date
rockerjt
rockerjt
OK, I am getting a white chassis 101B on the suggestion of a few people who have them and say they are a gem (I got lucky with some unexpected money that just came through, but that's another story). A few people seem to have dissenting opinions on the sound quality of the amp. I am hopeful that it is a going to be a great amp. What I'd like to know is what people who have owned and spent some quality time with a white chassis really think of it sound wise in comparison to the earlier black chassis version.

On a side note, I heard Bonamassa just got one of these to replace one of his Jubilees. I wonder if it is a 100 or a 101. I trust his ears. :)

JT

I had a white chassis XTC, it sounded good but I ended up getting rid of it because it just didn't seem to have the balls of the other XTC's. It lit up nice with my Xotic BB-Preamp in front of it but with the extra gain came extra noise. It really depends what you want out of it, I'm into the harder rock so it just didnt work for me, I will say it is much more open sounding than the newer models. In the end I just bought a new XTC from Bad Brad. The white chassis models have all the options on it though!! You can run different cabs for different channels. Let us know how you like it. I have heard a lot of people that swear by the older models.
pictures367.jpg

pictures368.jpg

White chassis versions are my favorite. I've had pre '04 post '04 and a white chassis. Guess which one I still have.

tcrash":eomu8y8i said:
White chassis versions are my favorite. I've had pre '04 post '04 and a white chassis. Guess which one I still have.
I am hoping it is the white chassis. :rock:

So what have you found to be the difference between the 2, and what do you like more about the white one?

Thanks.

JT

Well, I have played it a bit more. I really think it is more open sounding that the later 101B's, but that is the only sonic difference I notice. I do like the options on this amp, particularly the assignable speaker outs. At first I thought I didn't like it, but after dialing it in a bit, it really seems as good as any other Ecstasy I have had. Having said that, I am thinking I want a heavier sound, more Diezel or Uberschall like.

I have owned 2 white chassis, an '06 and now a Classic.

Not a huge difference between the first three other than my 2nd White chassis ahd EVERY bell and whistle known to man.

They all sounded very similar.

The Classic (and 100 A & B) have a better clean channel imho, and I prefer the more open OD channel of the Classic in comparison to the compressed feel of my first three. Any and all were great.

Matt

gbsmusic said:
I had a white chassis XTC, it sounded good but I ended up getting rid of it because it just didn't seem to have the balls of the other XTC's. It lit up nice with my Xotic BB-Preamp in front of it but with the extra gain came extra noise. It really depends what you want out of it, I'm into the harder rock so it just didnt work for me, I will say it is much more open sounding than the newer models. In the end I just bought a new XTC from Bad Brad. The white chassis models have all the options on it though!! You can run different cabs for different channels. Let us know how you like it. I have heard a lot of people that swear by the older models.

hey there

Did you by any chance buy this head thru Tim Rose (Brother FireFingers)?

Bump to see what happened to this amp and if the OP held on or sold it off.

matt-5150":1ieag0so said:
The Classic (and 100 A & B) have a better clean channel imho, and I prefer the more open OD channel of the Classic in comparison to the compressed feel of my first three. Any and all were great
If any of You don't like the clean channel of 101B I'd suggest to replace V1A 22uF cathode bypass cap (C3 on pcb) with 1uF. Huge improvement to my ears, the clean tone is tighter now, less boomy and more articulated.

Regards, Andy :)

White chassis models rock! :rock: Don't understand the negative comments from some people. Had #24 or something like that for a short while (on loan) and it was my favorite out of any year XTC I've played.

Back