Anyone Work with Music Makers in Galesburg IL? Incoming Guitar Purchase

• Thread starter Thread starter Corey James
  • Start date Start date
Corey James
Corey James
With my recent obsession on Suhr Andy Wood's with the roasted maple necks & boards, I went on a hunt for a modern. I wanted the same neck and board but with a roasted body.

I found one at Music Makers, roasted alder with maple cap.

Called and spoke with the owner, Dave. He was very approachable, we worked out a deal and I'll have the guitar on Tuesday.

Has anyone worked with this shop?

So far so good, and I would absolutely recommend Dave based on the experience so far. Very interested in hearing if someone's visited this store, looks pretty killer to me. They just picked up both Suhr and Tom Anderson. First TA came in this week.

In a world full of guitar centers and dominated by Sweetwater, I felt this shop deserved a shout out.

Attachments

• Suhr Modern July 2024.JPG
    Suhr Modern July 2024.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 88
I never knew there was a large mom and pop shop there, wow, says they have a 6,000 sqft shop! I think I may have to take a road trip and check out what they have....It would be a nice change from what Guitar Center always has as all the smaller shop by me have closed down.

I've never done business with them but thanks for posting as I will check out the shop sometime!:2thumbsup:

BTW that's a really nice looking guitar! LUV the natural flame maple top reminds me of the EBMM axis in natural flame! Oooooooo..... it's an alder body under the maplecap and not the standard basswood.......even better!

Last edited:
Yeah, the guy was sharing a little bit and it sounds like he went through a lot. I should say a ton of work to build that shop up.

Does a lot of fender custom shop as well, though I’m just not into fender.

If I get a chance to swing in there during some of my travels for work, I’m going to, but he’s more than a couple hours outside of all the major airports I hit.

That guitar is a beauty. Please let us know what you think of the Maple/Alder body tonewise. I've often wondered what that combination of woods sounds like.

Are you responding to a different thread again, Dan?

🤷🏼‍♀️
um no youre asking people about a guitar you already bought [at least in your post].
And i said TOO LATE YOU ALREADY BOUGHT IT.
And if its a SIR good luck trying to get a refund. ..... K / bye.
comprenday mucho ???

cheech-pink.gif

Thanks JT

Tomorrow shall rock

Here’s the roasted alder

Attachments

• IMG_3868.jpeg
    IMG_3868.jpeg
    715.6 KB · Views: 19
That’s beautiful
I didn’t realize we even had roasted bodies out there, I thought it was just necks

Well, sometimes your day just does not go as planned. It's past 1 AM and I'll be fine in the morning, so I'll leave it at that. I have to be up and functional tomorrow, so no sound bites / videos of the guitar today.

Initial impressions:
- This guitar is as MINT as it could be. I don't know that I've ever received a new instrument as clean as this. Another win for Dave @ Music Makers. I truly hope to visit this store and meet him and could absolutely envision ordering a guitar here if I go that route someday.
- Roasted woods are awesome, really awesome. The alder back is pretty damn nice (as far as alder goes) and the top is ridiculously killer. If PRS built this, they would charge private stock $ for the figure (and the alder). I didn't buy the guitar for the top, though it slays, nonetheless.

I want to compare this modern to a basswood modern with maple fretboard and compare both to a basswood modern with pau ferro fretboard. Since I do not shoot video for a living, I can't say when I'll get to it - but it will happen.

I should be able to post something this week featuring this guitar. It's a bad ass super strat and ridiculously well executed.

Poor iPhone photos ahead. One with a flash in the dark next to my gradient modern Suhr:

P.S. call Dave at Music Makers, great experience all around:

Attachments

• IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3892.jpg
    IMG_3892.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 25

Back