anything better Suhr Aldrich pickups?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
I have a suhr modern with basswood/maple top/maple neck/board/floyd.
I love late 80's hard rock shred music and also John petrucci.
I have suhr aldrich pickups in the bridge/neck but was wondering if there are better pickups for my style of music. Should i just keep the aldrichs or try something else?
thanks

Is there something you don't like about the pickups you have? I mean, the Aldrich set is highly considered. You may not like them as much as something else, but unless there is something specific you're looking for it might be a tough call.

I like the same music, I find the JB to be a nice balanced pickup with a good grind to it for 80s stuff. It's also not overly hot so works well with hot amps. Recently got the Suhr Aldrich and it wasn't to my liking, great pick up but I just didn't jive with it.

veji":3qnpqb25 said:
I have a suhr modern with basswood/maple top/maple neck/board/floyd.
I love late 80's hard rock shred music and also John petrucci.
I have suhr aldrich pickups in the bridge/neck but was wondering if there are better pickups for my style of music. Should i just keep the aldrichs or try something else?
thanks

What amp/FX are you playing her through?

i am using my suhr into an axe fx ultra through two studio powered moniters in stereo

Mark is running blackouts, I'm pretty sure. That guy has a sick ear though, he can get his tone from just about any set up.

Just recently got a set of Aldrich pickups installed in my Ibanez PGM301.

I absolutely love the Aldrich bridge.
It's grindy, powerful, clear and articulate all at the same time.

However, I'm not digging the neck Aldrich at all.
I suspected I wouldn't like it but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.
So now I'm swapping the Aldrich neck out for a Dimarzio Air Norton.

firejack":35mf3k1i said:
Just recently got a set of Aldrich pickups installed in my Ibanez PGM301.

I absolutely love the Aldrich bridge.
It's grindy, powerful, clear and articulate all at the same time.

However, I'm not digging the neck Aldrich at all.
I suspected I wouldn't like it but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.
So now I'm swapping the Aldrich neck out for a Dimarzio Air Norton.

Aldrich/Ait Norton is the way to go. I'm getting ready to put the same combo in one of my guitars within the next few days, I'd do it today but it's in the mail :thumbsup:

I have the same basswood maple top maple neck floyd as well with aldrich kinda surprised you would look for anything else for the 80s stuff. the Aldrich would seem to be perfect for it. I would say keep them unless something about them is really bugging you.

+1 on the Aldich bridge and neck. They sound exceptional in an LP or two. :lol: :LOL: One if the best sounding humbuckers split too.

Motorpud":3llfoxyv said:
Aldrich/Air Norton is the way to go. I'm getting ready to put the same combo in one of my guitars within the next few days, I'd do it today but it's in the mail :thumbsup:
Good to hear. :thumbsup:
Air Norton was the first thing that came to mind for what I'm after from the neck position of my PGM, but I got a good price for both bridge and neck Aldriches together so I figured I'd at least try the Aldrich neck out.
I'm just not getting the power I need from the neck Aldrich.
And I had a fair idea that this would be the case judging from it's 9k DC resistance.
I tend to prefer neck pickups in the 11k to 13k range.

I've tried the Aldrich's in 2 different guitars and love em. They sounded killer in my Suhr Modern (sold it cause the neck was too tiny for my liking), but I have one in my relic strat now. That pup isn't going anywhere :yes:

Back