Bass Player's Let's See Your Rigs

• Thread starter Thread starter MetalThrasher
  • Start date Start date
M
MetalThrasher
I'm getting a new 5 string bass this week and I would love to see what kind of rigs you have! BTW, I've never played bass before, so this is all new to me. My brother is giving me his Carvin BX 500 1x15 combo amp to use as well as a boss ODB-3 pedal. Anyone have any experience with this amp as well?

Lulls. P and 5 string J. I go through this pedalboard. Only ever really use the compressor (never turn it off) and a lot of times the vintage tubes. I don't ever really use the rest. My practice amp is a little fender rumble 40. It's fine. Nothing special but sounds just fine. For recording I have a nobles tube DI going through a 1073 and a distressor.

7844MlF.jpg

Gqt5LEs.jpg

I play a Fender Rumble 200 1x15. I really like it a lot, very full and punchy. I have used it in a band setting and it kept up fine. If I were playing with a band I would probably go for more watts and a 4x10 (I like older SWR stuff a lot) though. Also...just go ahead and buy a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass DI right now because you will want one eventually, they are amazing pedals.

Lulls. P and 5 string J. I go through this pedalboard. Only ever really use the compressor (never turn it off) and a lot of times the vintage tubes. I don't ever really use the rest. My practice amp is a little fender rumble 40. It's fine. Nothing special but sounds just fine. For recording I have a nobles tube DI going through a 1073 and a distressor.

7844MlF.jpg

Gqt5LEs.jpg
I have a Rumble 40 and the 200. I like them both, I actually use the 40 as a guitar practice amp sometimes as well, it sounds great with delays and reverb clean guitar sounds. Those Lull's look killer.

I play a Fender Rumble 200 1x15. I really like it a lot, very full and punchy. I have used it in a band setting and it kept up fine. If I were playing with a band I would probably go for more watts and a 4x10 (I like older SWR stuff a lot) though. Also...just go ahead and buy a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass DI right now because you will want one eventually, they are amazing pedals.

The gear whore in me already ordered these...

JOYO Bass Overdrive Amp Simulator Pedal,Bass Compressor Effect Pedal and Bass High Gain Overdrive Pedal​

Selling my original '80s Steinberger L-2, which will leave me with my last remaining bass, a Ric 4003 Fireglo.

My last / current bass guitar rig is a Zoom B1 because these days when I play bass, I use a synth (Roland TB-3 or Behringer Poly-D) or usually pedals, like these:

IMG_20210315_162840173.jpg

IMG_0053.JPG

the second organ has a 32' pipe, which has a frequency of 16 Hz on the lowest pedal note. Good luck getting that with your 6-string bass guitar!

:D

edit: I have digital pipe organ software models that have a 64' pipe which is 8 Hz, and practically unusable since most speaker cabs and subs are incapable of reproducing that frequency, even the 16 Hz is a speaker challenge....surprisingly some headphones can do it.

Last edited:
I went the semi-rack route. Everything runs trough the Hex switcher up top and uses the Mesa Titan's power amp.

Side note on the Egnater M4. Some of the modules work rather well for bass. I have one that Rob @ Jaded Faith made into an Orange AD200B module. The old Blackface module can do a convincing Fender Bassman sound and most of the SL/Plexi modules I've tried can cover that Lemmy Superbass sound. I'll end up sending my Blackface and an SL module to Rob for him to tweak them better for bass. I also want to see if he can mod one into a Traynor TS50B.

1696491215793.png

Here are a couple of my basses. I generally prefer short or medium scale, but do have a couple of 34" scales.
The last picture is an interesting project I did. I converted a Ibanez Talman 4 string bass into a long scale Bass VI. It's tuned BEADF#B so you can play normal shaped guitar chords. Bar chords on the first few frets are a rather difficult stretch though. Each pickup has an on/off switch and there's a built in OCD for a fun overdrive/boost.

1696492249956.png

1696492367289.png

1696492436955.png

1696492508518.png

1696492886882.png

I don't think I've ever actually taken a proper photo of my bass rig but you can kinda see it here in this old pic....

Taurus THD450 rack head+weird Hartke 1x15+2x8 cab

Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$

On the pedal board for this band I mainly only used my Guyatone Stevie Salas Wah Rocker and EHX Pitchfork

Shit fucks

23511196_10214789044139001_5279934537382560430_o.jpg

I tried to like them, but I'm not a fan of the necks or body, but the tone is to die for...
Yes, they can feel a little strange. I have a Lakland 44-64 that’s probably my favorite. I threw in a set of Geezer Butler SD’s and it kills

My favorite is the Sadowsky Jazz, that I currently don't have, but plan to change in the next year or so.

20230720_060923062_iOS.jpeg

20230720_061109656_iOS.jpeg

IMG_3799.png

Don’t have a lot of bass gear, or a shot where it all figures, but my bass is a Warwick Vampyre SN-5 and my amp is a Darkglass Microtubes 900 or sometimes my Axe FXIII,

Back