best distortion pedal for 80's shred?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
gota gig and ampless. any good distortion pedals that sounds good in front of a solid state marshall amp combo?
thanks

Bogner Red xtc. Sounds awesome into marshall flavored amps set loud and clean, plexi's for example.

MXR makes the prime distortion pedal which is supposed to cop the 80s sound, 50 bucks also....

The Suhr Riot pedal nails that 80's tone. Plenty of vids on YouTube to check it out

I take it your budget is low based on your ampless issue.

Pretty hard to beat the Bad Monkey for a front end drive/Boost @ $49

-Or-

You could just buy one of these for the price of some of the pedals people have posted :thumbsup:

For $299, i'd jump all over this before it is gone

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... -combo-amp

jca5012c_01.jpg

Dingleberries":1i3l99da said:
Marshall Jackhammer is what I like to use.

this or a modded marshall guvnor2 (mod is take out the c22 thing)..have run one through a peavey bandits clean and it sounded pretty cool

Wampler Pinnacle sounds great for the 80's stuff, here's my little demo of it:

Depends on your definition of 80s shred. If you are going for Yngwies tone (and he is the king of 80s shred imho) then the best was is his signature DOD YJM 308 overdrive. Nails his early tone.

If you are searching for a 80s-hair-style shred tone, there are many options, some noted in the other replies. I personally like the Menotone Blue Collar (but I use it in front of a slightly overdriven tube amp, so not sure if it fits your requirements).

For more Marshally sound (e.g. like the early Metallica, Gary Moores still got the blues) the original Guv'nor is the best solution I know (not the current rereleases; they are nowhere sounding like the original one).

flash6969":3ggdv2c0 said:
The Suhr Riot pedal nails that 80's tone. Plenty of vids on YouTube to check it out

That is a badass pedal. I had my Peavey JSX up for sale a few years ago and on a whim, decided to plug a Suhr Riot in front of it just for giggles the night before I sold it. I nearly kept the amp because it sounded so awesome with the Suhr in front of the medium gain setting on the amp.

I have the MXR prime distortion and its 80s all the way for 50 bucks or less...

Back