BIASING a 5150, help?!?!?!

• Thread starter Thread starter guitarslingerans
  • Start date Start date
G
guitarslingerans
Anyone know a place where ther eis like a tutorial, or step by step on biasing a 5150? I need to retube mine, but I don't feel like taking it anywhere and waiting. I know the general idea and sorta how, I just need specific, stepby step. Thanks you guys.

-Ans-

I thought there was one on JerryP's site?

www.fjamods.com

I don't recall the specifics but you remove R68 and replace that with a resistor and 10k pot wired to the cap directly beneath R68. I think Jerry used to suggest 5k-7k resistor.

yea, a stock 5150 has no bias pot. its biased so cold it really doesnt matter...just get some decent 6L6's and plug them in and youre done.

but if you want it modded...thats a whole different story! LOL

No, no, I don't want to mod it. I just assumed I'd need to rebias the amp for new tubes, I have a matched quartet of GT 6L6's laying around I ordered for my SE that I never stuck in there, so I figured I'd give em to the 5150 and order some KT77s for the SE. As far as I know, the amp isn't modded, is there any way I can tell if it has the bias mod done to it? I bought it off ebay like......3 years ago, so I don't remember for sure, but I am about 98% positive there was nothing in the description about a bias mod. I do know that the person before me had recently retubed it.....so the tubes that are in it are about 3 years old. It's time for new tubes. :retard:

Anyways, anything I should look for inside to make sure it doesn't have the bias mod done to it?

-Ans-

im pretty sure its stock then...maybe take some pictures and we can look at it?

3 years is really not much for the tubes in a 5150. mine are over 5 years old and still going strong. if its modded, i would probably agree that you need to change the tubes more often, but in a stock 5150 i dont think its that big of a deal unless you gig every night with it. i dont :)

It's been played loud for 3 years. Band practices 2-3 nights a week, plus it's sounding a bit weaker now. It's time.

-Ans-

Back