Big amps still used by the pros - what do we know

• Thread starter Thread starter Catthan
  • Start date Start date
Catthan
Catthan
Always curious to know which of the rigs that forum-folk tend to talk about, buy or obsess over are still used on records, tours etc.
Ideally within the last 5-10 years, i.e. not the 90s when the XTCs, SLOs, CAAs etc were considered 'contemporary'.

45-50W or more, not talking princetons etc. Big and gainy

I'll start with what I know/ saw about amps that interest me:
Boogie Mark: Petrucci.. I've seen some old ones in social posts from the recent recordings.
Bogner Helios: Luke and Evergrey dude
Bogner Uber: other Evergrey dude
5150: Andy Sneap, Priest
Gower Rock Monster mod: Andy Sneap
Mezzabarba: John Norum, Mario Sfoggli, Eric Steckel
Folkenson mod: Kee Marcello
Hermanson mod: Meshuga dude?
Jube: JoBo
Engl: Steve Morse, new Deep Purple dude
Wizard: Richie Faulkner, Priest
Bogner XTC: Andre Nieri
Victory Kraken: Rabea
CAA/ Suhr: Reb Beach
Bogner Shiva: Justin Derrico (AFAIK studio use nowadays)

Soldano??
Recto??
Friedman??

what else?

Last edited:
good point, 45 - 50 Watts or more/ big head type
So a 45 watt bassman combo/head doesn't count? Or how about a Super Reverb? I generally think of them as bigger amps but it's the blues world where everyone uses a strat and a deluxe or some crap now.

So a 45 watt bassman combo/head doesn't count? Or how about a Super Reverb? I generally think of them as bigger amps but it's the blues world where everyone uses a strat and a deluxe or some crap now.
Oh yes absolutely in terms being big/ loud and used by pros in the studio or gigs. Similarly in studios/ session rigs you may find /13, Matchless etc but I'm referring more to the higher gain type of amp that one might gear in heavier music. Like the ones listed in my opening post.

I think Jake E, Lee still uses some form of NMV. Either a Marshall or one fo the two he's had endorsements with. George Lynch bounces around, but seems to prefer big iron Marshall (or Park). These guys are just doing club-sized gigs.

Meshuggah uses quad cortex live now. In the studio they’re known to put a crazy number of guitar tracks. Rectos, fortin amp, etc.

Last album was an EVH 51503 slaved into a 6l6 road king. Honestly thought it sounded like an MTL2 of mine lol
The Wizard is most badass. I heard your clips. And don't even try to minimize what my ears heard. You and @TheGreatGreen can pretty much quit the amp search forever. NOT AN OPINION. It's father's day today so don't make me beat my kids cause you wanted to disagree with me. LOL

cemetery.jpg

I know people talk down on the 5153 because they don’t cost as much as boutique shit but they really are killer amps.

Meshuggah has a crazy collection of boutique and custom stuff and still they are choosing 5153's, gotta say something about them. my 50w el34 is definitely cool

Gary Holt uses boosted Jubilee reissues live. 2555x.
Langner Marshalls on his records.

I know people talk down on the 5153 because they don’t cost as much as boutique shit but they really are killer amps.
They are killer fucking . I use them for my live tone always .

The Wizard is most badass. I heard your clips. And don't even try to minimize what my ears heard. You and @TheGreatGreen can pretty much quit the amp search forever. NOT AN OPINION. It's father's day today so don't make me beat my kids cause you wanted to disagree with me. LOL
Thanks man .i got one more amp coming
Happy Fathersdsy to you too

Back