Bogner Harlow on high gain amps

• Thread starter Thread starter prsplayer86
  • Start date Start date
prsplayer86
prsplayer86
I've yet to really see a video of a Harlow Boost on a high gain amp. I don't think thats originally what it was designed for. More of a clean boost with compression added in... But shit fire, that thing is AMAZING through the front end of a high gain amp. The bloom control (comp) knob is a tad difficult to nail down on a high gainer. Even with the bloom completely off, it just makes every high gain amp sound better. Pretty similar to the reviews of the EP boost, as far as how it just makes everything sound better.

I'll post a video by the end of the weekend.

Great to see this post!
I've had the same experience!

I use the Harlow with my ATMA and it makes a huge difference. (I run the ATMA pretty high gain).

I also use it, although sparingly with my BE 100. It just adds a bit of girth and the compression is very transparent.

Works great!

It work great. I personally like the Wessex the best, but the Harlow is great for driving a distorted amp. I'm not a huge fan of the Harlow as a clean boost on a clean amp, but it's great with amps like Mesa Boogie.

One of my favorite boost/compression pedals. I like it on clean or high gain. Great for slide on clean tones. Turn the tone knob up for the funk!

I liked the Wessex better. The Harlow was always a little to noisey for me

I had a Harlow and Wessex. I traded the Harlow on here, (did you pick up the one from HolyDiver?) but I really liked the sound. It could definitely add noise depending on how it's dialed in, but it added a little something that sounded good. I played it front of my AxeFx2, Uberschall, Hagen and Herbert and it works well with high gain.

Looking forward to it, I've had my eye on this pedal for awhile I've thought of all 3 of the bogner pedals it would make a really great solo boost

Can it do a solo boost something like ts808 set to minimum drive?

Does the harlow trim some bottom frequencies?

moltenmetalburn":3btud8az said:
Can it do a solo boost something like ts808 set to minimum drive?

Does the harlow trim some bottom frequencies?

So this is the second Harlow I've owned. The first go around I actually used it instead of a TS808HW. I wanted something new and this filled that bill. Basically I set the volume to 3 O'clock, barely set the bloom on (if at all) and had the tone at 1 O'clock. The bloom can add a little more sauce on the notes so to speak, but it would have to be a minimal amount. It gets pretty feedbackish quick. But damn it sounds killer.

Now I'm trying to use it differently.

I'm exploring just leaving it on at all times. It really makes my rig sound better with it on. I'm guessing it has to do with the Rupert Neve transformer padding my guitar input prior to the amp input. Seems to play nice with the Deja vibe and delay pedal to. I've never been one to leave boosts/drives on at all times.. but I'm beginning to understand the allure to it.

Back