Bogner XTC Classics have bias issues??

• Thread starter Thread starter ampjunkie
  • Start date Start date
ampjunkie
ampjunkie
I just picked up my 3rd XTC Classic. To me, it sounds a bit cold. It's definitely brighter than the other 2 I owned.

My Shiva had this same coldness, and I later read that they often come from Bogner a little on the cold side. I didn't want to take this one statement as gospel, anyone else chime in??

-Mike

:|::QBB:
ampjunkie":26f29 said:
I just picked up my 3rd XTC Classic. To me, it sounds a bit cold. It's definitely brighter than the other 2 I owned.

My Shiva had this same coldness, and I later read that they often come from Bogner a little on the cold side. I didn't want to take this one statement as gospel, anyone else chime in??

-Mike

I have no idea but dibs when you sell it! :D

ha, you know me too well.....

On the last two I owned, I always felt they were a tad dark. I recall cranking the presence way up. This one's much brighter (although I'm using a cab I didn't have back then).

It's got the symptoms of cold biasing, and I've heard that comment on Bogners before.

I'm totally rocked by the Deliverance. That amp was made for me....

The bias "window" on Xtcy's is very slim. - meaning, there is NOT a lot of room to move. When you install tubes, check the bias to make sure you are in the ballpark of 30-35ma- if not, try another set of tubes.
I don't care what anyone says... if you go too high, like into the 38-45ma range, it'll sound choked/like shit!
All these guys that like to bias their amps so hot make me laugh... Their tone is mush and choked, less headroom, loss of clarity, very LOOSE bass and burned out tubes in 6 months... etc etc etc.
Anyways, enuff of that! ..lol...
Check the amp and see if it's in the low/mid 30's for the ma reading. It's perfect if it's around 30-35ma. It will sound best there. Done.

Keith

Back