Boss Katana MK-II vs Artist

gbsmusic

I have a Bogner 3534 and matching cabinet now but looking to scale back as I'm moving next month and I just won't need that power and and volume. I'd like to free up a little cash also. I've read quite a bit about both and watched quite a few videos but just curious is the artist that much better and is it worth the extra money? Thanks for any opinions.

The only experience I have is with an Artist and I really though it was a great amp. That being said, it’d probably be a serious step back from the Bogner and you might find yourself looking for another one in the future.

Last edited:
I have an artist. I can dial in a very convincing SRV tone plugged straight in with my strats. Actually, it's pretty damm convincing lol.

Anything with higher gain, I'm particular, and the amp is just ok with high gain tones. Honestly, id give it a 5/10 and I'm being nice.

I run my evh 5150 striped into an mxr 5150 OD pedal, into a clean channel on the artist. I agree a 100% on the above post that youd be missing the bogner.

However, those new 5150 40 watt combos coming out look very interesting, and just a few hundred more than the artist.

Last edited:
I know I'll miss the Bogner but moving is going to cost me quite a bit and even thought the 3534 sounds good at lower volumes it like any other tube amp comes alive when you turn it up.

I used the regular katana head live a few times in my band (metal) it sounds and feels great, but the issue I ran into is it just doesn’t have enough “umph” for live shows in my opinion. I think you’d be happy with either version for practice, especially if you use the free katana studio with all the extra stuff you can do there

Back