Boss OD-1 worth it?

• Thread starter Thread starter dstroud
  • Start date Start date
dstroud
dstroud
I’m a huge SD-1 fan. I love em stock and I have a few mods I like, I feel I can get whatever I need out of them. However I am thinking about picking up an OD-1. What do you guys think? They are fairly expensive lol Curious of you guys that has used em. For what it’s worth, I have Taiwan and Japanese SD-1s. I prefer the Taiwan ones.

The OD1X Smokes the SD1. IMO....And, I have a nice 86 SD1. The OD1X doesn't rob low end, yet still tightens the sound like the SD1. Also, it will remove nearly all the noise the SD1 adds. I like my SD1, but I hardly use it with the OD1X there.
Now, the original OD1 will have more 'organic' quality to the tone, but it's pretty noisy..plus, unless you're getting it cheap, they cost more than the OD1X also. The OD1 has it's own voice which is kinda cool...but I'm just spoiled by the quiet OD1X that I hardly know is on until I play.

The OD1 has ime a little more warmth, richness and organic like others said. The SD-1 was brighter, tighter, more attacky. Both sound like Boss’s. It just depends on preference in what kind of sound you want. I think there’s quite a few pedals out there better than both for where they excel. The vintage Yamaha OD-10M and OD-01 are sort of to me like better versions of those pedals, but still prefer a Klon to both as well as some of my other favorite boosts being the Peace Hills SSS, ODS, Thorpy Electric Lightning and the new Yngwie pedal. The only other boosts I use anymore for metal besides those is my ‘80’s Boss FA-1 that is also killer

I've never played a OD-1 ..... I just took a look at the schematics for both ...... they are almost identical

biggest difference is the clipping diodes .... the OD-1 uses 1S1588's ( which are a pain in the ass to get these days ... ) they are the same ones used in the " King of Tone "
the SD-1 uses 1n916's
the values of the other parts are identical except for 2 or 3 resistors ... and the SD-1 has a cap in between the op amp stages that the OD-1 does not ....
both are asymmetrical clipping circuits ... have the same value gain pot ...

they are so similar it's crazy

Not enough differences if you already have a good SD-1 you like. I had an original, tried a boutique Quad op amp Taxi Driver OD-1, built a clone pedal and the SD-1 still prevailed.

If you can find one that isn't a crazy price you might like it only your ears can tell you that.

Back