Boss PH-1 Phaser Review!

severinsteel

See my current Boss collection here:
http://instagram.com/boss_pedal_project

Episode 43: Boss PH-1 Phaser

As long as I've been collecting Boss pedals, the PH-1 Phaser has been one of the pedals I've really wanted to try out. I love the PH-1r and I've heard that the PH-1 is actually a little nicer sounding. We will get to that point here in a minute.

As you guys might know, I love only having a knob or two to deal with; the fewer the knobs, the better. The less options I have, the happier I am. So, the PH-1 is already looking to be in my wheelhouse. Only one knob more than my favorite phaser of all time, the MXR Phase 45.

The tone: It's a great phaser! Very musical! Sounds like my PH-1r. According to Bossarea.com, it's a 4 stage phaser, so a little more 'phasey' than the Phase 45 I believe. For me, the Rate knob likes to live a little above 12:00. Just set the Depth to taste; 12:00 is just fine.

Let's talk PH-1 vs PH-1r. As we all the know, the PH-1r is the same as the PH-1, but with the addition of a Resonance knob. I always preferred the Resonance knob off. When I compared the two pedals, I really didn't notice much of a difference, if any, between the two. I think it's safe to snag either one.

In conclusion, the PH-1 is a classic Phaser. In company with the OD-1 and the SP-1, it's one of the first three compact Boss pedals ever produced. I doubt you can really do much better.

-Cameron Johnson

Music by Atma Weapon
atmaweaponnc.bandcamp.com
facebook.com/atmaweaponnc

Back