Bruce Egnater said FACK YA FEELINGS Randall Smith fanbois 💀

• Thread starter Thread starter ChuggNorris
  • Start date Start date
ChuggNorris
ChuggNorris
Now that everyone is hailing Randall Smith as an old amp god since he retired and some claiming his designs were copied by other builders and that his designs were complete original... hyping up the "Randall Smith Era" gear market with these claims....

Bruce said hold my beer 🍺 🤣

Screenshot_20240927_161257_Facebook.jpg

Edit: I'm a mesa fan and not singling Randall out, in fact I can't imagine Bruce would say to the wizzer/groundzero/lenz/fortin and other hobby builders who made a name for themselves by blatantly ripping off marshall schematics plus jose arredondo mods.... changing a value here or there, adding a switch here or there... turning it into a "proprietary pcb layout" and then charging unscrupulous amounts of cash for their "special designs" to all the cork sneeeeeefas.

*sniff sniff*
🥲

Last edited:
I hate it when some builders are given a complete free pass on this topic, after being 100% proven to be guilty, while other builders are outright crucified after mere allegations are made with zero proof. Hypocrisy 101. It's like the MeToo movement has infiltrated the guitar industry.

I hate it when some builders are given a complete free pass on this topic, after being 100% proven to be guilty, while other builders are outright crucified after mere allegations are made with zero proof. Hypocrisy 101. It's like the MeToo movement has infiltrated the guitar industry.

I think the schematics speak for themselves.

I have had 6 mesas, but I always knew everything started somewhere else. Some more grossly copied than others. As with everything its a spectrum.

Looking to try a 7th mesa soon actually 🤷‍♂️
But I do love it when a great builder steps up and calls out the elephant in the room that is making so many others profits in the cork sniff community.

Props to Bruce for being one of those guys who isn't afraid to say what's up 💀

He’s right but everything is ripped off and copied . Amps, music, chord progressions. I don’t think too much about but then I’ve never been the one ripped off and never made any money off of someone else’s Egnater is one of the sharpest guys around so I get his opinion.

I don't know if this is true. From the Soldano Wikipedia page.

"Michael Soldano originally worked with technician Bill Sundt at Stars Guitars of San Francisco, modifying amps brought into the shop. Soldano built his first amp, a Fender Bassman clone, with the aid of books discarded by a library. He worked on modifying his version of the Bassman for several years before turning his attention to modifying Mesa/Boogie Mark Ils, which served as the inspiration for what became the Super Lead Overdrive (SLO) 100."

"Michael Soldano originally worked with technician Bill Sundt at Stars Guitars of San Francisco, modifying amps brought into the shop. Soldano built his first amp, a Fender Bassman clone, with the aid of books discarded by a library. He worked on modifying his version of the Bassman for several years before turning his attention to modifying Mesa/Boogie Mark Ils, which served as the inspiration for what became the Super Lead Overdrive (SLO) 100."
Revenge is a dish best biased cold

Revenge is a dish best biased cold

Or warm, realy depends on what it is.

Some things just taste better warmed up.

Like apple pie for example.
With a nice cool scoop of ice cream on top.

🤤

Wikipedia has become the urban dictionary for facts.

Id have to trust things that come from highly experienced designer/builders than the shit you find people adding to Wikipedia anymore.

Notice how nothing is quoted there by anyone named soldano....
😂😂

I remember, years ago, when at Guitar Center, someone telling us how the Rectifier amps, and similarly the 5150 amps, were just blatant SLO100 rip offs. I still wouldn't mind a good Dual Rec if I could find one at a good price.

was this a recent post?? is there some back story with them, or was this just a random dig at Randall?? Not that he is wrong, if he said this 30 years ago it would be a different story, even if he said it now in an interview and they printed it id be like whatever.. but to just randomly now start to take shots seems a little odd?? :confused:

correct me if im wrong, but werent the first marshalls just fender copies with EL34s because of whatever import laws at the time??
Marshall copied the 59 Fender Bassman. With some changes, however. The British players wanted Fenders but they were hard to get. So Marshall, who was a drummer and owned a Music store, hired a few radio tech grads (young dudes, 20 yrs old or so) and had them clone a Bassman. And it began......

Let's not forget the 5150....Ed said to Hartley...."Here! Clone this...." and handed Peavey one of his 2 SLOs. Ed was pissed he had to actually buy the SLOs; most builders gave him free shit. Soldano couldn't afford to give amps away.

Back