Carl Martin Plexitone...ya or nay???

• Thread starter Thread starter lespaul3013
  • Start date Start date
lespaul3013
lespaul3013
What's the verdict guys??

Pete Thorn's custom Plexi-inspired Suhr SL68 amp made me drool for that awesome tone...I know I won't get exactly there with a pedal, but I'm trying to get somewhat close now.

I'm getting ready to design and build myself a nice pedalboard so I'm trying to nail down the pedals I'm gonna use on it.

I currently have an OCD, and a Port City Sahana boost pedal (kind of a "Dumble" type of sound) that I use for all of my OD tones. I'm gonna be using a Port City Pearl (6L6 tubes) with a 1x12 cab. I always get compliments on my OD sound with the OCD, but I feel like it doesn't quite give me all the "bite" I'm looking for sometimes, and it gets muddier in higher gain settings which limits me to kind of medium gain tones unless I wanted to add another OD pedal...

I like the fact that the Plexitone has 2 channels and a boost, do you think that the Carl Martin could possibly replace the OCD?? I really don't wanna have more than 2 OD's for the sake of space and power...the PC Sahana boost is staying, and I love the OCD, but I'm simply exploring some more versatile options.

Thanks as always fellas...
Jordan :rock:

Check out Pete Thorn's video demo of the Plexitone on youtube. Of course he sounds great through anything but It will give you and idea of the tones available with that pedal.

Here is the Pete Thorn review of it. I never gave that pedal much thought, but it gets a thumbs up from me judging my the video.

mrkmas":1z2g1bgo said:
Here is the Pete Thorn review of it. I never gave that pedal much thought, but it gets a thumbs up from me judging my the video.

Yea, I saw that one a while back and didn't really give it too much thought either as I was satisfied with my tones at that time.

But now I am in search (again) and thought this could be a cool option. I'm mainly posting on here to see if anyone else uses one or has played one, and what they thought of it. Pete's clips are great, but I also like to see what other people have to say. :thumbsup:

I personally didn't care for it but I later learned that the pedal is VERY particular to the amp it's being played through. Apparently it doesn't get along with any fender style amps (boogie included). On the other hand it excels though Marshall style amps. So my opinion may not be valid, being that my amp may simply have not gotten along with it.

The Hoff":2o2epd7n said:
I personally didn't care for it but I later learned that the pedal is VERY particular to the amp it's being played through. Apparently it doesn't get along with any fender style amps (boogie included). On the other hand it excels though Marshall style amps. So my opinion may not be valid, being that my amp may simply have not gotten along with it.

Interesting...my amp is similar to a Twin, so I may need to hunt one down to test it out...or just bite the bullet and buy one, and flip it if I don't like it :lol: :LOL:

it's a cool pedal with some of the nicest footswitches i've ever tried (not really a selling point but it's one of the things i really remember about it lol)

had it paired with a matamp with 6v6s, sounded pretty sweet and the boost was an added bonus , as with quite a few pedals can depend a lot on the amp

something to think about is maybe the size of it (takes up a fair amount of space like 2.5 MXR sized pedals or so) and it uses it's own built in power supply so will need to plug in somewhere, i no longer have it as i sold the amp and for partly space reasons preferred other pedals

given what you have, combining two OD pedals might be the ticket and fortunately ;0 there are tons of options out there

i run a ceriatone OTS clean (dual 6l6 dumble clone very fenderish), using a BB preamp and a Mi Audio Blue boy deluxe sounds killer

tried out a bunch of pedals before settling on those two, i'd suggest borrowing some OD pedals if you can to combine with the OCD to see how that sounds

otherwise i'd consider maybe Wampler or Cmatmods for some higher gain pedals to use on their own maybe i had a brownie for a while, killer pedal

i kinda prefer two mid gain pedals for more options and i like how it reacts, happy testing =0

It's quite a hit or miss with amps. Sounds great with my Fender EVH 5153 and Rivera Fandango, hates anything with accentuated highs and lows. If the fundamental tone is flubby or harsh with a particular amp, you can forget it, because you can't dial it out.
If it sounds great with an amp, it will sound good with almost any setting. The boost is one of the best boost on the market IMO.

The Hoff":2e43gc25 said:

The Pete Thorn demo is through a Bassman.

David_kessler":3hvqnk4i said:
The Hoff":3hvqnk4i said:

The Pete Thorn demo is through a Bassman.
But he's Pete Thorn. He'd sound good through anything. :lol: :LOL:

Also, I could be wrong, just what I heard. :dunno:

It's a great pedal! As long as the base tone is not too bright. That's the key. It LOVES the normal input on an AC30. And it sounds stellar through my Suhr Badgers.

Nay! XTS preamp is a better choice and is less picky. Sounds great on my Blankenship Bassman Clone and Tweed Clone

petethorn":1lqb0yt5 said:
It's a great pedal! As long as the base tone is not too bright. That's the key. It LOVES the normal input on an AC30. And it sounds stellar through my Suhr Badgers.

Awesome...thanks Pete!
I've got a Port City Pearl, which is kinda similar to the Badger, except that it has 6L6 tubes...so I'll give it a go and see what happens :rock:

Jordan

D-Nastee1":s50c1vnt said:
Nay! XTS preamp is a better choice and is less picky. Sounds great on my Blankenship Bassman Clone and Tweed Clone

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Anyone else have any comments or other alternatives for me???

Happy New Years RT!!

really cool pedal
had the stock
then grabbed the vertek modded version

stock is a bit more wild and raw with big highs and lows

vertek mod is more refined and can hold back boom and sizzle better
perfect match with my peacemaker imo
and sounds great with superchamp xd too

happy new year

mentoneman":20i10op5 said:
really cool pedal
had the stock