Cornford MK50 Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 3520
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3520

I received a box (potentially best packing job of all time!) and revealed a beautiful Oxblood Cornford with White faceplate. I have been trying to get ahold of This amp for over 10 years now. Beautiful. I immediately unwrapped it all and something struck me that doesn’t always hit me this way; build quality. Absolute top Notch, maybe the best I’ve ever seen/felt/used.
I’m usually the guy who needs multiple channels and a ton of versatility. I went the Komet route trying this dynamic single channel thing, and while it has its own untouchable scope, I was skeptical of returning to a ‘single channel”. I quickly found out that with footswitchable volumes and switchable gains, I can get a plethora of impressive tones. The first gain is lighter and more classic, and here I can genuinely roll volume down and get a good clean tone. Rolling up the volume opens this studio clean drive sound, and it’s good enough to be its own amp. No problem getting blues and rock music here. Dynamically, I have experienced this type of magic very few times, ever. I have found SRV, AC/DC, Led Zep, Boston, and more importantly, a unique sound I love for my own writing. I have fun here like Bogner Blue, but they are different. Beautiful. A lot of people compare these the having a ‘M’ type thing going on, and if it does, it does it better than any of them Ive ever played! It sounds like a Cornford, but if you want that tone, this thing can get it too.
Then I switched in the Overdrive knob. Wow. Harmonic laden and magical, singing and fat whilst being tight and diamond clean, but never feeling dry or choppy. Real endless Sustain and a brown, rich, bold midrange stand out front with its own vocal and elastic sonic uniqueness that lets you be you, let’s me be me, and let’s you be free with you’re own voice and technical approach. It does, however, remind me to practice, being it gives what you give. It’s not a dark sound, nor a bright sound. When you give it some edge and let it open and shine, it’s easy to keep all boundaries soft around the edges. Likewise, you want a chewy, Phat, bouncy, smooth syrupy growl, it’s got it. Regardless of which world class side of the spectrum you choose, the articulation and harmonic extravaganza the ensues is simply remarkable. I’m getting 4 solid channels out of it. Tonally, the two gain knobs work together and both bring different tonal flavors. Audible bliss, a motivating amp to hear, to transcribe your voice as a musician to one of the most rewarding and signature sounding amps in the history of amps.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcCG2I ... THQKQvvhFA

Sounds great and great playing too. I dig the clean and sustaining character that’s coming through on the vibrato.

Sounds great. Always wanted one o0f these.
Sounds like you're getting good tone even at a low volume? Cool
what's the rest of the rig you're playing through (cab, delay, pickups in the fiddle)?

I have a v30 pine cab, and a Diezel 2x12 with cannabis Rex. Effects are carbon copy and hall of game mini Reverb in the loop. The guitar has Suhr pickups, DSH.

swamptrashstompboxes":2xp7f65t said:
That is a SWEET SWEET tone on the leads. Nice playing too!

Thanks! Motivating amp to play, endlessly great tone.

fatbagg":gzlbrldx said:
I have a v30 pine cab, and a Diezel 2x12 with cannabis Rex. Effects are carbon copy and hall of game mini Reverb in the loop. The guitar has Suhr pickups, DSH.

Damn! You get the cc to sound like that? :rock:
In the loop or in front of the amp? What are your settings if you don't mind me asking

Wayniac3":2buxgj5c said:
fatbagg":2buxgj5c said:

Damn! You get the cc to sound like that? :rock:
In the loop or in front of the amp? What are your settings if you don't mind me asking

Regen and the top knob are at 9-10, and delay (right knob) is about 3-4 o’clock. This is off of memory, I will confirm when I get home.

As much as you like it, it seems to like you back from what I can hear!
Nice tone and playing, that's an amp I've always been curious about....congrats on getting one you've always wanted!
:rock:

Nope.

I have one more amp on my bucketlist, which means I have to sell an amp to try it. I can’t bring myself to do it.

Cornford amps - rarely talked about, but incredible amps.

Nice score - and killer playing as always Bro.

Mo :thumbsup:

fatbagg":1trr47tg said:
Nope.

I have one more amp on my bucketlist, which means I have to sell an amp to try it. I can’t bring myself to do it.

What amp ..not that Naylor in the classifieds?
I’ve been sweating that one out...

Back