Dickie Betts using JVM's last night in Florida....

Johnny59

I saw Dickie Betts and his band Great Southern play last night in Florida and they were awesome, this was the 5th time I had seen him play in the last 30 years, usually with the Allman Brothers.. He was little drunk but still played his ass off and had a monster tone...I chatted with him backstage breifly and then watched most of the show from a front row perch. He was using two JVM half stacks loaded with what looked like heavy duty EV's, I neglected to ask him as I figured he was using Celestions but could clearly see the aluminum silver center domes in both his cabs from out front. Being the old road dog that he is he probably wants bullet proof transducers in his cabs. He had two other guitar players, his son Duane (named after guess who) and I think Tom ? is the other guitar players name. His son had a Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 half stack probably loaded with Celestions the other guitarist was using a Marsahll 1959 HW Plexi reissue half stack most likely with the same. The twin leads they played were outrageous and soared into the night air in this great outdoor concert location on the edge of Tampa Bay. Duane (is son) was using either a Custom Shop Historic 57' Gold Top or a 25th Anniversary and Dickie and Tom were using 59' Sunburst reissues, with Dickie switching to a white strat from time to time.
Duane Allman and Dickie Betts probably did more to popularize Marshalls, gold tops and 59' bursts than anyone else on this planet. Just give a listen (if you haven't lately ) to Eat a Peach or Live at the Filmore to hear what PAF's into a Plexi can sound like...heaven.
The crowd last night was totally receptive to this icon of Southern Rock, who's still out on the road hittin' the note as he calls it.
Dickie if you're reading this, keep up the good work and God bless you!

Attachments

• DuaneAllman-DickieBetts-Mercer.jpg
    DuaneAllman-DickieBetts-Mercer.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,301
  • Dickie Betts and son Duane.jpg
    Dickie Betts and son Duane.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,341
Doesn't Dickey know you can't get the Vintage/Classic Marshall tones out of the JVM, and it's not road worthy due to the plastic shafts on the front panel knobs?!?!?!?!? :eek:

Someone better tell him QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bump:

:|::QBB:
carlygtr56":cdd64 said:
How did sound?
Was he having any difficulty with the play in the knobs or too much gain?
How about noise? Was his Les Paul squeeling?

Cool to see some pros using the new Marshalls.
No doubt Dicky was kicky ass as usual.

He only went over to his rig a couple times to make a minor gain tweak and didn't seem to have any trouble...no squealing or noise, just killer tone....
I was surprised actually to see him using the JVM's as he always for the most part used original Plexi's.

:|::QBB:
SgtThump":237d0 said:
I used the JVM both nights this past weekend and it worked great. As far as too much gain, I fixed that by adding a Boss Noise Gate pedal to the amp input. The only noise I wanted to control was feedback from pickups being too close to the amp. The amp and noise gate pedal worked beautifully together...

Glad to see you didn't sell it and are still enjoying it!!!

What settings do you use on the noise gate, and do you feel like that addresses the issues with the feedback and squeal in ubergain modes without sacrificing any tone/goodsounds?

I've used a NS-2 in front of every amp I've owned for about 10 years. It helps kill all that shitty noise you don't even notice is there until its gone. I've been wanting to upgrade to a Decimator pedal cause I do notice some signal loss when the the pedal is in the chain and not even on. A noise gate pedal is just as important to me as my tuner pedal; both are necessities.

Back