Diezel cab mini review

• Thread starter Thread starter Ailean
  • Start date Start date
Ailean
Ailean
On Tuesday I received 2 Diezel 4x12's. One front loaded with v30's, the other rear loaded with Hempcones. This evening I had a little play with them going head to head (and also with my Orange 4x12 rear v30).

The hempcone is wonderful and my favourite of the two. Very nicely balanced and controlled. It has a big bottom end response, not over powering, but noticeable over the v30. It responds well through the mids and highs, and doesn't seem to have any obvious 'spikes' in it's frequency response, the highs were clear and bright but not piercing. However, it's not all good, the cab starts to lose it's focus with the higher gain modern sounds, from heavy rock into metal. It works better with a more vintage sound at high gain. It's not unplayable by any means and for most rocks type sounds it will be awesome, but as the gain went up and I started to mid scoop a little the bass started to go a bit flabby, not badly, but you notice it if you are listening for it. Also this cab is only(!) rated at 160w. I play mostly clean to rock so it's perfect for me.

The V30 cab seems to control the V30 well. 'Well behaved' is the phrase that springs to mind. The upper mid spike is still there and the highs get a bit piercing as is the case with V30's but the cab does a good job of taming it somewhat. The sound is very tight, not too dark, and works very well for modern rock and metal, the bass stays tight, and the overall sound is very detailed. I was most interested to compare this with my Orange v30 cab, and the Orange sounded darker and warmer, with a bigger bass response, but not as focused as the Diezel. It was very hard to choose a favourite between these two, I really like the darker sound of the Orange, but I love the detailing and tightness of the Diezel.

I'm keeping all 3 for now and selling some other gear to cover the cost, time will tell which of the V30's I favour.

What I'd really like to do is be able to compare with a G12K100, but that's out of the question. (For now)

good review.

I'm drooling over a 2x12 hempcone! it's just a bit too much for me now :(

Great review! I have a Mesa 4x12 Stiletto cab loaded with G12K-100's. It's AWESOME. All the tight bass and fullness with a smoother top end. Very powerful sound. You should certainly check 'em out if that's of interest.

Ailean,
Are the Hempcone speakers in your 4x12 two alnico and two ceramic?
Thank you,
Stephen

All ceramic as far as I'm aware, I don't think Diezel use the alnico by default (I'm sure they'll do a custom job, but I think the alnico's are twice the price (retail)

^ I have a rear loaded cab 2 Ceramic Hempcones & 2 V30 ... sounds great by all means. Peter S. can chime in for this, but after he built the one for me there was a second one going to James Hetfield, if I got this right. Don't know how it turned out though :)

Back