Diezel VHX review

• Thread starter Thread starter Leo Diezel
  • Start date Start date
L
Leo Diezel
For anyone interested it's finally available a nice review of the Diezel VHX :)

Not extremely sound centric as there are already tons of Diezel samples out there, but very helpful in showing the functionality, and funny too!

I said it before, I have loved some Diezel amps in the past, the Einstein is an amazing amp. But this is a bridge too far. I get where they were going with it, but it's a gimmick and won't age well.

I like it a lot. It sounds phenominal in that video! It has what I want in an amp for messing around with in a recording studio, getting repeatable tone and the fx sounds are really good, which factors into the value of this thing. Beefy transformers always, IMO, sound better at stage volume when playing metal.

Hmmm...seems to be a logical evolution in amplification. That being said, my old school mentality wants to scoff and turn my nose up. Even still, that amp would’ve been killer for when I played in a cover band that played a lot of different genres.

What does it cost? 5-6 grand? When/if it breaks down, who’s going to work on it? Interesting idea. This is the future of amplification, though. No denying it. 20-30 years from now, this will be common place.

Sounds great, I love the idea of this amp. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm surprised Mesa hasn't done this yet. H & K put out the Coreblade. I wonder if it does stereo. Didn't they put out that as an option for the VH4? I think the main seller is that it saves everything except the master volume, at least that's what it looks like? So you could really fine tune and save the eq and switch back and forth and just get things dialed in to perfection.

It sounds great, and I think it looks great. I love the idea, but agree that it's not going to age well. I would love an amp that could literally do everything, no pedals, no cables. Just guitar, amp, and cabinet, and footswitch. The problem for me is the cost. While it certainly might be worth the coin if you factor in the cost of a VH4, plus reactive load, effects, and everything else this amp can cover, it still remains the fact that it's not going to age well. It will sound great, but you're going to be losing on that investment should you decide to move on in a few years. That's the main issue I have with this amp. I always wonder about reliability with digital products too. What happens in a decade for this amp, if the amp is functionally find as far as the analog/tube amp itself is concerned, but there's something faulty with the digital "brain" after being dragged around on tour or whatever? The digital tech will age much quicker than the analog portion.

I think that the aging would be more like an issue for a full modeler where the limited DSP power would be a bad aging factor because it needs to create the actual sound.

In this case there are just tubes and relays, like a regular amp! There is a picture of the inside somewhere on rig-talk :)

What I dig about Diezel, is that they offer an amplifier for all musical tastes. Built rock-solid, and they look cool!

sutepaj":3mhq564d said:
I said it before, I have loved some Diezel amps in the past, the Einstein is an amazing amp. But this is a bridge too far. I get where they were going with it, but it's a gimmick and won't age well.

See; midi

still here

If it's here in 20 years, I'll bet it still sounds phenominal and still cost $$$$, and I won't be 58, I'll be 78 years old! :doh: :rock:

If they open up the amp to be able to do pre-FX as well as the Post-FX, I will be looking seriously at getting one. Hopefully they consider it at some point.

I just read the manual, cool to see the nod to Mesa eq, LOL. Doesn't look like it does stereo. Oh well, I guess I'll just buy two. (dreaming)

just ordered on ..............not

Sounds good but a used VH4 - $2600
fractal fx8 -$800
can do the same basic thing $3400
and if the VH4 breaks its easy to get repaired

something about watching that guy play guitar is just painful .

splatter":38mzmh88 said:
just ordered on ..............not

Sounds good but a used VH4 - $2600
fractal fx8 -$800
can do the same basic thing $3400
and if the VH4 breaks its easy to get repaired

And the FX8 would also give you much more flexibility on the effects side if someone like extreme deep tuning!

However the point of the VHX is not to have effects on the amp, that's just a plus.

The main VHX point is to have 30 different preamp sound combination, most of them never found on any Diezel amp before, and the ability to store and recall all of them, including all of the knob position, even Deep and Presence, with a program change. Kind of a VH4 with 99 rows and more switches :)

That is something that no other Amp + FX unit would do (in Diezel tone space).

Sure, a VH4 can already cover a whole lot of sound, the VHX is more for who needs lots of different sound so instead of having more heads or compromise on modelers you just have one!

And there's cabless mode too :)

Yeah a used VH4 and FX8 is not a fair comparison, and it still does hit most of the main features of the VHX....

Leo Diezel":3mcj88ca said:
The main VHX point is to have 30 different preamp sound combination, most of them never found on any Diezel amp before, and the ability to store and recall all of them, including all of the knob position, even Deep and Presence, with a program change. Kind of a VH4 with 99 rows and more switches :)

This is why I bought a VHX. I already have an Einstein, but I wanted a VH4 and Herbert as well. Instead, I just bought a VHX.

Back