Distortion pedal for JC-120 roland amp for shred?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
can anybody recommend a good distortion pedal that i can use with a clean roland jc-120 for shred/van halen/dokken style tone? i am thinking about the suhr riot or tone freak severe.
would they work for 80's hard rock music?

IMO I think it sounds like shit compared to what tones you get out of a regular tube amp but I have used a Ibanez TS9 with moderate success on my Roland JC-120h. :lol: :LOL:

It was the early 90's reissue TS9 if that helps.

is that roland a solid state? if you're using solid state just buy a POD XT or decent multi FX.

moltenmetalburn":3hbasmol said:
Blackstar Distx or Ht Dual.

Damage control Demonizer or Solid metal.

get the Ibanez tube king instead, cheaper and better than those. I did a side by side, the TK999HT owns they're shit.

I definitely don't se the point in spending bucks on a tube driven pedal when your going into a solid state amp..

I believe there are a few youtube videos of JC amps with distortion pedals. I'm interested as well because I have my eyes on a Jazz Chorus 77 amp that's available through local craigslist.

I posted a thread here a few weeks ago but didn't get any responses. For some reason, I seem to recall that Alex Lifeson was using a Jazz Chorus amp on the Farewell to Kings album - distorting it with "something".

I could be wrong though.

I had a damage control solid metal for about a year that my buddy has had for the past year and still has and uses. Its amazing for anything rock and metal. You can really get any type of tone out of it. Its extremely versatile within all rock and metal styles. You can get great classic rock tones too. I wish I could find some clips of it but I think they were lost...

1. I can get great distortion tones from pedal + JC120

2. The JC120 is bone dry. Nothing sounds worse than a Tubescreamer-type OD into a JC120, IMO.

3. get a DISTORTION pedal, not an overdrive pedal.

I can get pretty much any tone I want with the MXR Distortion III and the Way Huge Fat Sandwich. They stack BEAUTIFULLY, as well. Dial the drive way back on the DIII, go into the Fat, sounds kind of like Gilmour.

tekbow":193a8g8x said:
I definitely don't se the point in spending bucks on a tube driven pedal when your going into a solid state amp..

The JC-120 is actually a pretty good platform for pedals. I used one for a good year with pedals, it was pretty good, not perfect, but not too shaby at all.

I agree with using distortion over overdrive.

I was pretty impressed with the Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion for the price.

Back