distortion pedal for your main tone!

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
i know many people prefer to get their distortion/gain from the amp.
but if we didn't have our recto/5150/ bogners/splawn/friedman marsha etc.
which distortion pedal in front of a clean sound would you use as your main tone for 80's shred/metal?

I remember a video of just the Radial London Bones going straight into the EH 44 magnum power amp pedal that sounded good. Somebody had posted it here on rigtalk..i'll see if i can find it

I will just chime in here and say that one might want to stay away from the Fulltone OCD. I have version 4, and let me tell you, it doesn't cut through the mix all that well. It is better served adding some top-end harmonics to a slightly gritty tone, or to tighten up a high-gain sound.

The Rockbox Boiling Point is something I've never tried, but looks like a great pedal.

For smaller stages where the 100w + 4x12 is too much, I use a 50w single channel head into a 2x12 with a
Krank Distortus Maximus out front. Awesome pedal, tons of headroom, almost a preamp in a stomp box.

barber super sport, i love this pedal infront of a clean amp. theres been times where i dont have my amps and its worked pretty good for me, i also have a barber dirty bomb for heavier types of music.

Barber Direct Drive. Or the Dirty Bomb if I need more gain. Barbers got it going on

MI Audio Blues bro or for something more gnarly sounding a Psonic 3:14 fuzz.

I don't really play shred/metal, but my Rat and old Russian Big Muffs are my favorite dirt pedals.

Not to take away from the thread but what about using the amp just for rhe initial breakup tone and then running the pedal on top. I've heard some clips of vintage moderns taking pedals that way and I was really impressed. Has me wanting to try something new on my JCM800. Soo far the direct drive has me interested along with the OCD. As for clean, I thought my MI AUdio crunch box was pretty good but i have not used it in ages..

I have used the Jekyll and Hyde from Visual Sound. It has 2 channels, one is like a tube screamer, the other is more of a distortion pedal. I used to run them into old Marshall 50 watts with a 1x12. Sounded pretty good.

JakeAC5253":3v0savmf said:
I would modify a DS-1. Real cheap, real easy to fix.
Seriously, modded DS-1s can get some killer tones... but somebody on HC tried to rip me apart for suggesting it once. :no:

veji":12ruh0bk said:
i know many people prefer to get their distortion/gain from the amp.
but if we didn't have our recto/5150/ bogners/splawn/friedman marsha etc.
which distortion pedal in front of a clean sound would you use as your main tone for 80's shred/metal?

If I HAD to use a pedal on a clean signal, it'd be probably an 808 based stomp for the music described above.

Just sayin',
V.

Dehumanize":2dkpkpci said:
JakeAC5253":2dkpkpci said:
I would modify a DS-1. Real cheap, real easy to fix.
Seriously, modded DS-1s can get some killer tones... but somebody on HC tried to rip me apart for suggesting it once. :no:

I don't get that. I mean, DS-1s have been used by loads of famous guitarists. I don't get why people are slamming it so hard. I got one a while ago... Great pedal.

Back