Dry Fretboard

• Thread starter Thread starter Neeklaus
  • Start date Start date
Neeklaus
Neeklaus
my fretboard feels a little dry to the point of making it harder to slide cleanly because of friction

whats the best way to fix this?

would a rub down with a damp cloth work?

yeah i'll probably pick some of that stuff up

let me rephrase the question- any normal household items that will help?

lemon oil...its what was recommended to me, and it has worked well with my guitars so far ;) my PRS had never been oiled, finally cleaned and oiled it and it was super nice after that...had a nice lemony fresh smell too :) LOL

Get a guitar with a smooth ebony or maple board. 8)

I assume your current guitar has a dry rosewood board? That's just how certain rosewood is, which is another reason I hate it.

Megadeth7684":c0e86 said:
Get a guitar with a smooth ebony or maple board. 8)

I assume your current guitar has a dry rosewood board? That's just how certain rosewood is, which is another reason I hate it.

Ebony dries out as well, FYI.

Shiny_Surface":00588 said:
Ebony dries out as well, FYI.

ill go one better and say all wood dries out as well :shock: or i should say, they always are under the influence of the environment and its humidity.

having said that, fingerboards are the worst about drying out normally as they are exposed to the air...unlike bodies and/or necks because they are usually finished.

and why the hate on rosewood...rosewood is sexy IMO...Ebony is nice as well...maple doesnt really get me going much though, really depends on the guitar/finish for that.

Ebony is too greasy for me. Dunno what it is. I prefer rosewood. I like maple the least, but I also think maple looks the best because it's more rare/unique.

Get some dr. string fellow and clean it up. better yet unstring the guitar of course, putsome naptha(lighter fluid similar to zippo) and rub it in cleans great. after that add the lemon oillet itsoak in a sense rub itin butno off. wait 10 mins apply again. and rub in deep into the grain. restring and jam. also a little thing i do from time to time i add ghs fast fret, no sliding issues at all

Linseed oil works better than lem oil. It's kinda household-ish. people use it for cricket bats and wood finishes. I find it works really well.

Good luck man

Jimbob78

I hear bore oil works the best according to Rich @ Ibanez Rules. He likes it better than lemon oil.

jimbob78":aca22 said:
Linseed oil works better than lem oil. It's kinda household-ish. people use it for cricket bats and wood finishes. I find it works really well.

Good luck man

Jimbob78

linseed oil is also used for oil paintings...so you can clean your fretboard AND paint at the same time! what a time saver! :D LOL

sorry, just a little lame humor LOL

The Armadillo of leprosy":0a5f2 said:
my fretboard feels a little dry to the point of making it harder to slide cleanly because of friction

whats the best way to fix this?

would a rub down with a damp cloth work?

Regulating moisture in the forum of humidity in the air where the guitar is kept is the only effective way of controlling the moisture content of the wood. If you want it to look & feel wet, oil preps/board conditioners will sit on the surface & in the pores and give it that nice appearance till it wears or evaporates.

fwiw if you used linseed oil, most folks recommend avoiding boiled which typically contains drying agents and functions as more of a finish than an oil.

Back