E609 and SM57 VHT 50/CL clip - opinions?

• Thread starter Thread starter stratotone
  • Start date Start date
stratotone
stratotone
http://members.cox.net/vht50/E609+Sm57StilloftheNight.mp3

75% E609, 25% SM57. The warmth is the 609, the bite and grit is the SM57. I like how the 609 sounds by itself, but it tends to get swallowed in a mix. The edge/grit of the 57 really pushes it forward.

Now I'm thinking about getting an audix i5 mic and trying it in place of the SM57 - see if I can get the high end without the 'hash'.

BTW, I've been semi-ill most of the week, and this was a one take wonder. I know the timing is off and I'm probably playing it wrong - just wanted to get the tone grabbed. Amp was a VHT 50/CL red channel, VERY low volume, cab was a JCM800 slant w/85watt celestions.

guitar sounds nasally and distant on my studio system. Maybe the mics aren't time aligned.

Sounds good, but it does sound like the mics are out of phase. Creating that hollow sound...
Steve

Hi Pete, pretty "rapsy" to my ears. Excellent playing as usual from you of course.

something about it does sound weird. I still dig it though. Nice tight playing too ;)

I listened to this at the VHT forum. Great job, Pete! You've really got your CL dialed in on this clip!

Back