EMG 60 vs 81?

• Thread starter Thread starter Soundstorm
  • Start date Start date
Soundstorm
Soundstorm
Thinking about swapping my 81 out for a 60 to see if I can get a little less output to play better with certain fuzzes and preamps, but still retain some of the aggressive EMG nature, not to mention the ease of the swapout itself. Anyone directly compared the two? How is the low end on the 57 compared to the 81?

Last edited:
They're more similar than they aren't. 57 has a little more bass, more dynamics. Extended bass and top end seems to push the input more than an 81 even though the 57 is supposed to be their "hot rodded PAF". 81 is a little tighter, little more cutting in the mids, and more focused.

I thought the 57 had more output but was less compressed than the 81. I have the 57/66 set in a couple of my guitars and have tried the 81/85 set but liked the 57/66 better. For me, the 81 was too compressed/tight. I have the 81x/60x set in a guitar now and like it much better but still feel like the 57 is a hotter pickup and more versatile. I also thought the 81 has more low end than the 57. You might want to try the 18v mod if you haven't already, I think that is what the 81x is supposed to be. The 57 is my favorite if I had to choose.

the 57 to me is like a high output paf that’s tight and clear but not too focused and narrow like some modern high output passives.

i prefer it to the 81/85

I like the 57 a lot, had been ages since I've used an 81 but i will say a lot of them, mine included are very prone to a lot of noise/hum.

Changed the title/subject to 60 vs 81 in the bridge, anyone have experience with that?

I had the 85 in the bridge and I decided I hated it. Switched it back to 81/85 and it just sounds more natural that way to my ears.

Can’t comment on the 57 in the bridge but I does sound great there IMO. I wouldn’t be against trying it.

my 85 has more output than my 81 in my sykes greco for some reason. I had an ltd ec1000ctm with the 81/60 combo I believe. Honestly I thought they were pretty evenly matched output wise in that guitar. I'm running the 24v mod in the sykes and it has completely decompressed the emg's if that makes sense? So back to your question-I have no idea bro. I know your volume knob is pretty critical with fuzz pedals depending on what your doing. Sorry for my rambling unhelpful post....:censored:

my 85 has more output than my 81 in my sykes greco for some reason. I had an ltd ec1000ctm with the 81/60 combo I believe. Honestly I thought they were pretty evenly matched output wise in that guitar. I'm running the 24v mod in the sykes and it has completely decompressed the emg's if that makes sense? So back to your question-I have no idea bro. I know your volume knob is pretty critical with fuzz pedals depending on what your doing. Sorry for my rambling unhelpful post....:censored:
EMGs (or any active pickup) probably wont agree with a fuzz, since they have a low impedance output, and fuzz pedals are designed with high impedance in mind.

EMGs (or any active pickup) probably wont agree with a fuzz, since they have a low impedance output, and fuzz pedals are designed with high impedance in mind.
yeah that's kinda what I was thinking also. Mine were fine with my flytrap fuzz that Wayne built...but that fuzz is a totally different animal.

I bought an impedance transformer just for this reason. It's about the size of a mini pedal and will change you signal back to hi-z.

Also, I think a 60 in the bridge would be pretty bright. It has extended treble the 81 doesn't have.

If you're in the US, you could buy a bunch of these from Amazon and swap them out. Return what you don't like and keep what you like. EMG also lets you try these for 30 days, albeit minus shipping. I think that is the most direct path to figuring out what pickup you want in your guitar.

Also, I think a 60 in the bridge would be pretty bright. It has extended treble the 81 doesn't have.

If you're in the US, you could buy a bunch of these from Amazon and swap them out. Return what you don't like and keep what you like. EMG also lets you try these for 30 days, albeit minus shipping. I think that is the most direct path to figuring out what pickup you want in your guitar.
I just ordered one, I'll probably hang on to it either way. I have an 85X just sitting in a drawer, might throw those two in a guitar one day if I don't like it in the bridge position. I already love the 60 in the neck position.

Back