EMG James Hetfield vs. 85/60a clip

• Thread starter Thread starter vultures
  • Start date Start date
vultures
vultures
I've been on this EMG quest for years now. I've tried almost every combo/position of these pickups in most types of common woods. I've figured out the best combo in my RGA right now is the 85(b) / 60a(n). These new Hetfield pickups came out boasting to be the biggest and baddest.

I found out that the JH set ain't so god damn different from what I already have. The clip is on the heavier side

https://soundcloud.com/inlightyears/emg-jh-set-vs-85-60a

first of all, VERY cool clip man.....I loved the playing, the style, and the sound. Props!

second, to me it's VERY apparent how the JH set sound less compressed and more "passive like". The 85/60 sound squished (dare I say "thin") and a bit more saturated. I don't see the JH set replacing the 81/85/60 just because I know some peopel will prefer the more compressed and saturated sound. But still the JH set has definitely brought a new light to EMG..... I'm sure not too long from now, they'll come out with a non signature model based on the JH.

I'd rather have the JH based on all the clips I've heard, this one included.

BTW I guess Hetfield's VH4 being a huge part of his tone has a lot to do with him developing a more open sounding pickup, since the VH4 is a pretty compressed amp as we all know.

During the change you can really hear the difference. The JH set sounds a lot more open in that part.

The JH set sounds significantly better to my ears.

Cool clip dude!

I recently made one of the Het Set and the Blackouts.

fluff191":2xnuaqf5 said:
Cool clip dude!

That tone rules man! Whats your signal chain on that one?

Thanks mang! Chain was just the Schecter into a Maxon OD808 into a 95 Rectifier.

Not a fan of actives, but the JH set sounds bigger. Cool videos. :rock:

fluff191":18m0rtgk said:
Cool clip dude!

I could not hear a difference until I selected the HD720 youtube option. Then I think I liked the JH set better. But they seemed so close it would not matter much. Do they feel different?

Yeah the EMG's feel way faster and immediate. Real nice for staccato stuff.

I am absolutely loving my JH set :rock:

Really enjoyed the clips, good stuff sir :thumbsup:

The Hoff":2isvnt54 said:
I am absolutely loving my JH set :rock:

Really enjoyed the clips, good stuff sir :thumbsup:

Thanks! Don't get me wrong, the JH set sounds great from my perspective. When I get a Les Paul, those bad boys are going in it :D

Sounds awesome.I love the JH Set.Have ist in my Gibson right know and
Need a Second Set for my truckster.

By the Way:In Flames rulz

Skrapmetal":19jaxs7p said:
During the change you can really hear the difference. The JH set sounds a lot more open in that part.

The JH set sounds significantly better to my ears.

Yup...Do agree.

Norton666":2a8jjgu9 said:
fluff191":2a8jjgu9 said:
Cool clip dude!

That tone rules man! Whats your signal chain on that one?

I just listened to the "raw" version of this vid with studio head phones...EMG Het Set wins (in my opinion). Slightly rounder, warmer, more organic and crunchier in the mids...Like an 81 / Duncan passive cross-breed.

Joeytpg":1pb4dsp9 said:
first of all, VERY cool clip man.....I loved the playing, the style, and the sound. Props!

second, to me it's VERY apparent how the JH set sound less compressed and more "passive like". The 85/60 sound squished (dare I say "thin") and a bit more saturated. I don't see the JH set replacing the 81/85/60 just because I know some peopel will prefer the more compressed and saturated sound. But still the JH set has definitely brought a new light to EMG..... I'm sure not too long from now, they'll come out with a non signature model based on the JH.

I'd rather have the JH based on all the clips I've heard, this one included.

BTW I guess Hetfield's VH4 being a huge part of his tone has a lot to do with him developing a more open sounding pickup, since the VH4 is a pretty compressed amp as we all know.

Thanks a lot dude, I know you do a lot of recording stuff so it's cool get props from you.

And yeah I bet that VH4 has a lot over my 5150, but I'm happy with either of the two EMG sets. :D

Back