EMG PA-2 or EMG Afterburner.. any users?

• Thread starter Thread starter Bash_Man
  • Start date Start date
Bash_Man
Bash_Man
hey guys,
anybody use either one of these boosters? I know a booster can be noisey when setup too high. How do these work for medium amount of boost? and do they affect the tone in any way?

Thinking about getting either the PA-2 or Afterburner to use for boost and at the sametime as a cable buffer for longer cable run from guitar to rack or pedals (20' or more).

Any info would help.

Thanks

Ben (or BenJ as he is so named on HCAF) here uses a PA-2 on his guitars (or at least his ESP). he normally uses a Lee Jackson GP1000 preamp and boosting it slightly with that helps up the gain on an otherwise mid-gain preamp, and i cant argue, his tone is good to me!

i wanted to try one on my V with EMG's (81's) but decided that i didnt need to at the moment.

from what i know though, its a nice boost (the PA-2). the Afterburner i believe has a preamp that has an EQ on it...so if you want to have an EQ to mess around with as well, go ahead...but i think the PA-2 would do you just fine :)

soc_monki":182ce said:
Ben (or BenJ as he is so named on HCAF) here uses a PA-2 on his guitars (or at least his ESP). he normally uses a Lee Jackson GP1000 preamp and boosting it slightly with that helps up the gain on an otherwise mid-gain preamp, and i cant argue, his tone is good to me!

i wanted to try one on my V with EMG's (81's) but decided that i didnt need to at the moment.

from what i know though, its a nice boost (the PA-2). the Afterburner i believe has a preamp that has an EQ on it...so if you want to have an EQ to mess around with as well, go ahead...but i think the PA-2 would do you just fine :)
thanks for the info. I thought the afterburner was a Boost also just like the PA-2, except its an adjustable push/pull pot. The PA-2 is a mini toggle switch with a small trimpot to adjust the amount of gain. Both are pretty much the same idea. no?

Cheers

hmmm

lemme go look...yea...my bad. the PA-2 is a toggle and the AB is a push-pull pot.

id just get the PA-2, adjust it, and then forget about it personally. with the AB you could bump the knob and turn it up or down and mess with it too easy IMO.
no EQ on the AB...i was t hinking of something else i think LOL

I had the AB in my Ltd M-251 (it came stock with it). Its a push/pull pot that does nothing in the down position and adds more "boost" to your signal the more you turn it up in the "up" position. I only used it with the stock EMG-HZ pickups tho....and it was bad. It added a LOT of noise. Maybe it works better with active pu's, i dont know. Btw if you want to use it with passive pu's you will need a 9V battery for it.
Anyway....a boost pedal in front of the amp is much better for the fact alone that it was a bit akward to pull the pot while playing and then finding the right amount boost. I dont see that working well in a live situation.

Thanks guys! maybe I'll try to remove the cover from the Duncan Distortion and see if that helps the issue from needing a booster pedal.

Back