EMG Retroactives: Easily the most underrated pickups of the modern era

• Thread starter Thread starter DanTravis62
  • Start date Start date
DanTravis62
DanTravis62
I've never been an active pickup dude. I'm really picky about the frequency response and feel of pickups, to the point where there are certain passive brands I will refuse to use, like Dimarzios, because the midrange ends up driving me insane - I can't stop hearing 1970s AOR rock whenever I hear a super distortion.

Every guitar I've ever owned that's had an 81/85 set, has been summarily gutted, and the electronics have been replaced with various passives - generally Scott's tonenerd stuff the past couple years (the roxy is like an aldrich on steroids) but I also love Jim Wagner's pickups (the godwood and ironman are great) and a couple of duncans (the sh-14 and sh-6 are both fantastic for specific use-cases)

With Fishman eating into EMGs market as far as the whole active pickup thing, I think EMG released the Retroactives at the worst time possible, with most people having never heard about them, let alone played them.

If people HAD played them lots of them would be blown away. This is the 4th guitar I've tried retroactives in, and the first with the retroactive tele set. Every guitar I've put them in has loved them. The fat 55, super 77, maverick, and tele set.

PXL_20240712_135314737.jpg

PXL_20240712_135325159.jpg

It's crazy, because all of these companies have spent endless time and R&D trying to produce single coil pickups without the 60 cycle hum, with generally pretty poor results - the retroactive single coils are the only pickups i've ever tried that actually SOUND like single coils, just without the noise.

I assume that if the TGP tan pants types could get over their instant reaction of "EWWWW EMGS" that these pickups would catch on like wildfire with that crowd. It's actually crazy how much gain you can add with basically no discernable noise.

Here's me playing super deliberately with lots of stops - there is NO NOISE GATE. This is gain cranked on an ac15 style amp, with a MIAB and a tube screamer both gain and volume maxed. I cannot make this single coil guitar noisy, even if I try!

In conclusion, if you are, like me, a passive pickup supremacist, and racist against 81s and fluence

Or, if you want a single coil guitar you can actually gig with high gain and volume

You HAVE to try this pickup series.

They are so good, and it's amazing that they have flown underneath the radar for so long.

i go on the EMG site and they have so many pickups ive never even heard of, im sure these and others have to be good

I think most of the stuff they've come out with has been outshined and eclipsed in the popular guitar culture by fishman being all over youtube

Honestly though, the retroactive humbuckers and single coils sound better than anything fishman has ever released

Which is just wild to me, because if more people tried these

I'm positive they would be a huge deal as far as popularity

BB King in the house! By that I mean nice Boomer Bends :D

Seriously though, nice playing and they do sound good and capable of nuance, like passives.

BB King in the house! By that I mean nice Boomer Bends :D

Seriously though, nice playing and they do sound good and capable of nuance, like passives.

I am doing my best to play "single coil" style guitar, give me some leeway here :LOL:

In all seriousness though, I guarantee if more people knew about these they would be huge - especially with the guys that play single coils with gain - blues boomers, etc

No offense but when i can hear strings ringing acoustically over the amp then the clip is no bueno for determining anything. I am glad you be satisfied tho.

I've grown away from 81/85s over the years, but still like them. I just appreciate the grinds and nuances of passives. It's cool to see EMG putting out something different. I have plenty of the fishmans, and agree 9/10 need swapped, but I do like them for their predictability and sterileness in a way that they remain fairly articulate while allowing the rest of the signal chain to shine, if that makes sense. They are just very meh on their own with almost no character. Also, those knobs on that partscaster look familiar :ROFLMAO:

I've grown away from 81/85s over the years, but still like them. I just appreciate the grinds and nuances of passives. It's cool to see EMG putting out something different. I have plenty of the fishmans, and agree 9/10 need swapped, but I do like them for their predictability and sterileness in a way that they remain fairly articulate while allowing the rest of the signal chain to shine, if that makes sense. They are just very meh on their own with almost no character. Also, those knobs on that partscaster look familiar :ROFLMAO:

I don't like actives in general. 81s are fine for certain things, and Fishmans are fine for certain things, but in general they just aren't for me :dunno:

And yes, i forgot emg uses weird ass pots so I can't use normal knobs and have to order new ones lol

I have fucked with emg’s for years and honestly never liked them. Then I bought a pair off spiderwars and for the hell of it bought a 24v mod. Made a believer out of me. They sound great in my Greco Sykes…. Honestly though I have been curious about the retroactives so thanks for the review dude.

WE CAN FINALLY SHARE EVERYTHING TOGETHER!!!!

I don't actually know how to play that song, I was just guessing, so whenever the ZZ top cover band guy comes to tell me how much I suck, I am pre-emptively telling them they are correct

Back