EVH 412 cabinet speaker question

• Thread starter Thread starter MetalHeart
  • Start date Start date
MetalHeart
MetalHeart
I received my EVH 412 cabinet today. I purchased off musicians friend for $735 open box and dings. Got a scuff or two on
tolex but great shape otherwise
Sounds killer with my 5153 el34 50 watt head. Very cool.
It came with manual. something caught my eye.
So it states in the manual that the speakers are special design EVH brand (305cm) w/1.75 voice coils and 35 oz magnets sensitivity 102 db,1 watt-1 meter.

I heard they are the same as the heritage series G12 M greenback..
On Celestion website they list the sensitivity as 96db .
Listed wrong in the manual?

Im not ,just thought it was odd that's all
The amp sounds sounds way better with this 412 cab.

Manual's probably bullshit

I read the manual. It said what you said. But when you look at the product page itself, it advertises the Celestion EVHs

I've never seen the 5150iii cabs come with anything but Celestions, but if you're unsure, pop the back panel out and take pics.

The EVH Celestion in the 412s are the same speakers as the G12M20 Heritage that isn't made anymore. The cheaper way to buy the Heritage 20M was to buy the EVH version....only difference is the stripes on the magnet cover vs the normal Greenback cover on the Heritage that listed it as made in England, 20w etc etc.
For a while the Heritage M20 was 199 apiece; while the EVH version was 149.

I should add that the EVH 212s have the H30 anniversary, afaik. And the Iconic cabs have a budget speaker of some type....the 412 is the way to go. They are great Greenbacks that sound killer with my vintage Marshalls...and of course any of the EVH line.

Yeah, maybe I will just open up and take a look just for the sake of looking.
No big deal cause it sounds awesome.

The EVH Celestion in the 412s are the same speaker as the G12M20 Heritage that isn't made anymore. The cheaper way to buy the Heritage 20M was to buy the EVH version....only difference is the stripes on the magnet cover vs the normal Greenback cover on the Heritage that listed it as made in England, 20w etc etc.
Ok I noticed I could not find them anymore. I had seen them a few years ago for like $200 plus

Ok I noticed I could not find them anymore. I had seen them a few years ago for like $200 plus
Yep; the best way to get a new 412 with killer greenbacks is the EVH cab IMO. They are a good bit cheaper than the Marshall AX/BX cabs, and way cheaper than the TV cabs.

Yep; the best way to get a new 412 with killer greenbacks is the EVH cab IMO. They are a good bit cheaper than the Marshall AX/BX cabs, and way cheaper than the TV cabs.
Agree! The EVH greenbacks are fantastic.
I have 12 of them lol!
Used is an even better deal if yer just after the speakers......
I bought 3 used 4x12s out of the local big box rental stock for $400 each, took out the speakers and flipped the empty cabs for $150 a piece.
I have a bunch of great sounding, vintage spec 4x12 cabs made by a local builder, so I run 1 with 4 x Evh greenbacks, 1 with 2x Evh's and 2 v30s ala Friedman, 1 with evh's and heritage H30s, and one with evh's and 70th anni H30's.
And I have 2 spares :LOL:
Nothing wrong with the EVH cabs at all. They sound fine.
I just like my guys cabs better for that old Marshall cab vibe, and Wizard and Bogner cabs for a tighter, heavier feel.

I have 12 of them lol!
I bought 3 used 4x12s out of the local big box rental stock for $400 each, took out the speakers and flipped the empty cabs for $150 a piece.
I have a bunch of great sounding, vintage spec 4x12 cabs made by a local builder, so I run 1 with 4 x Evh greenbacks, 1 with 2x Evh's and 2 v30s ala Friedman, 1 with evh's and heritage H30s, and one with evh's and 70th anni H30's.
I just like my guys cabs better for that old Marshall cab vibe, and Wizard and Bogner cabs for a tighter, heavier feel.
How do they work with G12H30's?
Greenbacks on top?

The EVH Celestion in the 412s are the same speakers as the G12M20 Heritage that isn't made anymore. The cheaper way to buy the Heritage 20M was to buy the EVH version....only difference is the stripes on the magnet cover vs the normal Greenback cover on the Heritage that listed it as made in England, 20w etc etc.

I should add that the EVH 212s have the H30 anniversary, afaik. And the Iconic cabs have a budget speaker of some type....the 412 is the way to go. They are great Greenbacks that sound killer with my vintage Marshalls...and of course any of the EVH line.
I’ve always been curious why the EVH cabs state 50w on the back when the two H30’s are rated at 60w total?

Last edited:
I’ve always been curious why the EVH cabs state 50w on the back when the two H30’s are rated at 60w total?
I'll bet it's similar to the 1978-79 Marshall cabs, where every single one had either a 100w or 120w badge, yet most were loaded with G12 65s or G12 80s. Some were BB M25s or BB H30s....but those were being phased out.
EVH got lazy and printed the wrong badge and never changed it.

I have 12 of them lol!
...And I thought I was hoarding with 8 cabs :ROFLMAO:

I have one of the 212’s with the anni H30’s and it sounds great too. I used to have a cab that had the regular H30’s in it and I always found them kind of shrill and ice picky, at least in that cab. The anni H30’s sound a lot better.

I have one of the 212’s with the anni H30’s and it sounds great too. I used to have a cab that had the regular H30’s in it and I always found them kind of shrill and ice picky, at least in that cab. The anni H30’s sound a lot better.
Anni's are a great speaker that gets dumped on by some because it's a bright speaker before break in. Once broken in it's my favorite Celestion. Best sounding 4x12 I've ever heard or owned was a Mojave with 2 GB's on top and two Anni's on bottom. It's what I have in my beater Marshall 4x12 although I'm probably taking it all Anni's. And I have a Anni/V30 in my Bogner 2x12 which sounds great.

I have a Marshall cab with the Heritage G12H30 & they are a bright speaker.

How do they work with G12H30's?
Greenbacks on top?
Yeah, the greenbacks are always on top.
The 55hz H30's sound quite different from the Anniversary 30's, but both sound great mixed with the EVH greenbacks.
The cab with the Anni's works really well with amps with diode clipping, or 4 or 5 gain stages.
Hat tip to Psycodave for that recommendation :thumbsup:

Yeah, the greenbacks are always on top.
The 55hz H30's sound quite different from the Anniversary 30's, but both sound great mixed with the EVH greenbacks.
The cab with the Anni's works really well with amps with diode clipping, or 4 or 5 gain stages.
Hat tip to Psycodave for that recommendation :thumbsup:

Hey brother,
How would you compare the (G12h) Heritage 75hz with the (G12h) Heritage 55hz ?
I have a cab loaded with English Anni’s and another with Heritage (G12h) 75hz, but I’ve never spent much time with the heritage, 55 Hz speakers.

Anni's are a great speaker that gets dumped on by some because it's a bright speaker before break in. Once broken in it's my favorite Celestion. Best sounding 4x12 I've ever heard or owned was a Mojave with 2 GB's on top and two Anni's on bottom. It's what I have in my beater Marshall 4x12 although I'm probably taking it all Anni's. And I have a Anni/V30 in my Bogner 2x12 which sounds great.
I can see that mix working well together.
I have a Marshall cab with the Heritage G12H30 & they are a bright speaker.
It may have also been the cab I had at the time, but they were both bright and kind of lacking some midrange fullness. The Anniversary is of course still an open sounding speaker, not super midfocused like a greenback, but at least in the EVH cab it comes across as more balanced. It’s great especially for less gainy stuff.

Back