EVH Original vs Peavey 5150 Combo vs Friedman The Plex.

• Thread starter Thread starter psychodave
  • Start date Start date
This will probably turn into a debate on authenticity to the original recording but as far as just tone is considered, I’ll take that OG all day

EVH original

Although wtf is up with the recording of the peavey 5150 combo which is arguably the best 5150 amp in existence and it sounds like ass here. Was it recorded with a Walmart toy microphone and who dialed it in?

I had to delete my original dumb comment, but I think the Plex could get a lot closer with a little more gain and dialing in.

There needs to be some clarification that it’s just 2 amps compared vs EVH original album recording.

Not sure how the 2 amps were recorded, but the 5150 sounded wayyy better on my phone speakers. Having owned a 5150 combo, it is a bit gainier sounding than that when you strike a chord.

This was just the single note riff and no chords

The EVH original obviously sounded best, but it’s on so many levels an unfair and pointless comparison. The original would’ve been recorded with different equipment and by a pro rather than amateur and using likely a good vintage Marshall cab, some of the best speakers of all time (20w GB’s and JBL D120F’s), probably good pickups that most guys mistakenly don’t consider exploring today and a good guitar. Not that the speakers/cab/guitar/pickups used on these other amps are bad per se, but we gotta call it like is. Comparatively they would be trash vs what EVH had

The Friedman sounded worst of the 3, but again I don’t know how much of it is user error be it setting up the amp or how he recorded. This is a prime example of how comparison clips can often be misleading. I probably still wouldn’t have liked the Friedman or Peavey as much either way, but it’s at least nice when we can get as close as we can to apples to apples comparisons

Maybe it's just the riff he chose or speaker or something but all the recordings sound like dogshit

And i know all three amps do not sound like dogshit

Man, that 5150 combo sounds great. Definitely the winner between the two clips.

My brother had a 2x12 5150 combo in the mid 90s. Heavy as hell, but sounded so good. I think he traded it in for a reissued Ampeg Reverberrocket. 😬

I'm gonna reserve judgment on this clip....Too many other clips where it sounds good.

I never cared for the Friedman amps I would take a Soldano SLO 100 watt all day long

I’ve never played a Friedman Plexi but some Marshalls get loose/fuzzy when you dime everything. Dialing the volume back to 7-8 removes the fuzzy/loose bottom but doesn’t really reduce the crunch, partly due to that huge bright cap.

Also some of them need the bass turned down but some sound about the same just feel better with the bass cranked.

That said, to me it almost sounded like they tried to make the Plex sound like shit.

Back