Favorite Alnico 8 humbucker?

• Thread starter Thread starter SpiderWars
  • Start date Start date
SpiderWars
SpiderWars
I've never tried an Alnico 8 pickup. I usually like hot PAF types up to medium output like a Duncan JB but usually not even that high. I really like The Jalen Fair Warning in one guitar. What are some good A8 pickups to get a taste of that flavor? Arcane has a bunch.

I hate A8 magnets. I've done comparisons of them with ceramics, A5, 4, and 2's in several examples of the same pickups and they were consistently my least favorites. They have huge low end, which can be nice, but a really ugly, unmusical quality in the midrange and rolled off highs I felt. My 2 cents would be to just buy an A8 magnet, try them in some of you current pickups compared to an A5 or ceramic and see what you think. Definitely not for everyone

I've had the Arcane Mr Scary, Bulldozer, Tone Nerd Wicked (I believe inspired by the Mr Scary), some A8 Dunables and tried them in some Tone Specific sets made for me. I still like some things about those pickups, but the A8 part of it NO

I hate A8 magnets. I've done comparisons of them with ceramics, A5, 4, and 2's in several examples of the same pickups and they were consistently my least favorites. They have huge low end, which can be nice, but a really ugly, unmusical quality in the midrange and rolled off highs I felt. My 2 cents would be to just buy an A8 magnet, try them in some of you current pickups compared to an A5 or ceramic and see what you think. Definitely not for everyone

I've had the Arcane Mr Scary, Bulldozer, Tone Nerd Wicked (I believe inspired by the Mr Scary), some A8 Dunables and tried them in some Tone Specific sets made for me. I still like some things about those pickups, but the A8 part of it NO
I did some YouTube listening and I have yet to find a clip where I prefer A8.

C'mon man keep it in OT. At least leave the other forums free from all that beef from OT BS. I don't GAF who you voted for, I want to know your opinion on fucking Alnico 8.
I did a test on a PAF style pickup where I started with an A2, recorded a clip.. swapped in an A5.

Played the same clip.. then installed an A8.

A-B-C ing the clips I heard a fuller, beefier sound thru my JCM800 as the magnet strength increased.

Last edited:
I did a test on a PAF style pickup where I started with an A2, recorded a clip.. swapped in an A5.

Played the same clip.. then installed an A8.

A-B-C ing the clips I heard a fuller, beefier sound thru my JCM800 as the magnet strength increased.
I hear an increased bandwidth, to a degree, as you go up to A5. But that would imply A8 would have even more top and bottom (kind of like A5 but to the next level)...but thats not what I hear in the clips. But the increased output makes it hard to judge. It seriously almost sounds like a 'transparent' boost.

I hear an increased bandwidth, to a degree, as you go up to A5. But that would imply A8 would have even more top and bottom (kind of like A5 but to the next level)...but thats not what I hear in the clips. But the increased output makes it hard to judge. It seriously almost sounds like a 'transparent' boost.
Honestly, it (A2, A5, A8) doesn't really change much - just pushes the front of the amp a little harder.

:unsure:

C'mon man keep it in OT. At least leave the other forums free from all that beef from OT BS. I don't GAF who you voted for, I want to know your opinion on fucking Alnico 8.
I was just joking. I don't have any beef with him :)

Also. I rarely go to OT so not sure what drama is on over there.

Duncan Alternative 8 is an amazing pickup. It's made multiple guitars sound so much better for me. It has a lot of output, phenomenal harmonic content and a midrange grind that's addictive. For the price, it's very hard to beat.

I have an Arcane XIII that came in a Les Paul I bought. I didn't end up keeping it installed but I liked it while it was in there and may put it back in at some point.

Back