favorite wood/pickups for high gain?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
What's everyone's favorite wood and pickups when playing high gain?>

i love my suhr modern basswood/maple top and maple neck and board with the aldrich pups

I've come to really appreciate an alder body and maple neck through with an ebony fretboard. And 25.5 scale.

I have found wood is very unique and just because it's a species of wood doesn't mean they sound the same; 2 cuts of ash could sound completely different. I'm assuming it's because how the wood fibers grew and their density/pattern. I think it matters more on a particular cut of wood, not necessarily the wood species itself.

I agree that it really depends on the specific chunk of wood, rather than species. Similarly, I've found that the pickups I prefer depend heavily on the specific guitar's tone and what amp I'm pairing it with.

That being said, I have some preferences. I like Anderson H-3's in the bridge of a number of guitars for higher gain sounds. I like the Duncan Custom and classic Dimarzio Super Distortion. I'm not a big fan of the Tone Zone, but have one guitar it's perfect in. I have one guitar with EMGs that I also like a lot.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that I like an alder body, maple neck / board and an EMG 85.

Dunno, but I'm getting ready to do a super strat build on a few months and have pretty much settled on doing an ash body with an all maple neck/board. The only strats I've ever bonded with have ash bodies. The bridge pickup is going to be a Suhr SSH+ I have and probably an SSV neck. Hope it works.

Mahogany body/neck with Painkiller bridge and Cold Sweat neck.

Wood is far less of a factor than pickups, but Basswood and Poplar are good choices because they're kind of neutral. I find Poplar to be a bit brighter than Basswood. Some people might describe them as bland woods, but they're so good if you're more pickup-dependent for your sound. All that nuance and wood character matters little for high-gain applications.

Ceramic pickups are so much easier to get metal tones from. I don't use high-output pickups but sometimes I get the urge to switch to them because I struggle to get satisfactory metal tones from mid output pickups which I always use. I just got a set of Aldrich pickups, but it's not my first time using them. I also have a Suhr DSH+ set in another strat. The Aldrich pickups are fantastic for high gain. The mids are a bit pulled back compared to a JB, but have better high mids and better overall low end than a JB. They definitely favor high gain, but of course if you want brootz, you gotta get a brootz bucker like some Bareknuckles or EMGs.

Also check into Dimarzios because they have a LOT of complex mids in their pickups, so even the mid-output pickups they offer do very well for scooped metal tones since the mids not cut out from your amp are fully retained. That's why you can usually scoop mids with Dimarzio pickups and still cut through nicely. The Aldrich isn't really like that, and probably more similar to the Duncan Pegasus, but I'm actually liking it a bit more than the Pegasus. They have a nice punchy feel to them too.

I think your Suhr is very much geared towards high-gain. Maybe it's your rig you should consider. Considering your guitar is basswood with a maple cap and maple neck, you should have a real nice upper mid presence and high end, so the Aldrich pickups will match real well, filling in the lows a bit, and giving you a warm but cutting neck pickup tone.

I just recently build a roundhorn V with a Mahogany/basswood pancake body with dimarzio breed pick ups and it sounds HUGE....so I quite like that at the moment.

Generally I like alder strats with a tonezone and sds1s or quarter pounds and JS's/59 combo

Favoring PRS McCarty pickups in LPs lately. I have a custom built GT that I've struggled for a few years to find a right set for. Went thru a bunch of BKPs, EMGs, and a lot of other stuff before I threw that McCarty set in there.

Always love basswood bodies with EVH Wolfgang pickups in em for drop C metal. They just work awesome together.

It doesn't really matter. 1 small twist of any knob on the amp has a much bigger effect than any wood snake oil.
Mind you, I am not saying there is "no difference", I am saying it doesn't really matter compared to the way bigger effect of pickups, pedals and amp...and I'll throw picks too in it.. way more difference coming from a different pick than wood IMO.

kunos":2o9jfrbx said:
It doesn't really matter. 1 small twist of any knob on the amp has a much bigger effect than any wood snake oil.
Mind you, I am not saying there is "no difference", I am saying it doesn't really matter compared to the way bigger effect of pickups, pedals and amp...and I'll throw picks too in it.. way more difference coming from a different pick than wood IMO.

Yeah I agree.

I think the wood's main contributor to the "sound" would be the resonance and/or attack of when you play a note. I actually think the neck wood has a more profound effect than the body wood

I agree with the posts saying it's not wood specific but really guitar specific. Just have to find one that works for you, but really pretty much anything will work if you use appropriate pickups and amps.

I'm liking Les Pauls right now, but I had to go through a few to find one snappy/fast enough for me. Some are just kinda slow/tubby sounding IMHO. Similar things apply for all guitars in my experience. But that's being super picky. Anyone could probably grab whatever off the GC wall, plug into a nice Marshall/Friedman/Diezel/etc. and rock away with great tone.

My favorite guitar body wood for ANY amount of gain is Mahogany. Swamp Ash and Ash are my next ones...alder and basswood last for me. I like bodies all mahogany, maple topped mahogany and an assortment of maple necks with maple boards, ebony and rosewood. If a guitar doesn't ring or sustain WITHOUT an amp I won't buy it.

I'm not a fan of real high output pickups but use hi gain amps and back the volume down on the guitar a bit and using more dynamics with the pick hand. Duncan Antiquities, DiMarzio 36th anniversaries, Duncan Custom all work fairly well

Shawn Lutz":1yhbl42s said:
My favorite guitar body wood for ANY amount of gain is Mahogany. Swamp Ash and Ash are my next ones...alder and basswood last for me. I like bodies all mahogany, maple topped mahogany and an assortment of maple necks with maple boards, ebony and rosewood. If a guitar doesn't ring or sustain WITHOUT an amp I won't buy it.

Mahogany is meat and potatoes. You can't go wrong with it. Want more snap/sizzle? Put a maple top on and get a Duncan JB. Want it darker/heavier? Get a heavy mahogany guitar with a 500t.

I feel almost guilty getting a guitar that isn't mahogany.

mahogany (with or without a maple top) and an emg81 for me. consistantly the same from guitar to guitar. of course,its the pickup not the wood.

mind you,my shattered mirror top guitar sounds too bright even with an 81...tho i imagine it will sound that way with any pickup.

Back