Fender Malmsteen Strat: Yay or Nay? opinions/experiences wanted.

• Thread starter Thread starter badger71
  • Start date Start date
badger71
badger71
Anybody else ever own a Malmsteen Strat and "unleash the fury?" I just got one delivered to me on Friday and am currently setting it up. The intonation was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off from the factory. I've got it pretty much dialed in, except for sting height which I may try to go a little lower than my other guitars. I wanted to go for something way outside of the norm for me....maple board, scalloped frets, brass nut just to see....plus I got a great deal to good to be true so I figured, why not? Anyway, just looking for thoughts and opinions.

I had one for a little while. I never could adjust to the scalloped neck, even after I had it set up. Plus, I thought the pickups were kind of weak; I guess I thought Yngwie would have some high output pups in his guitar.

daver101":20e84 said:
I had one for a little while. I never could adjust to the scalloped neck, even after I had it set up. Plus, I thought the pickups were kind of weak; I guess I thought Yngwie would have some high output pups in his guitar.

he actually uses VERY low output pickups. i remember an interview i read with him a while back. he said that having low output pickups and cranking the amp gets better tone than a high output pickup slamming the front end and getting more preamp distortion...but, he uses a pedal to boost, which is kinda equivalent to pushing the front end with a hot pickup. so, i dunno...its whatever LOL hes got a good tone though, so i cant argue with his methods.

I tried one out once. I've been playing for a good while now, but on that scalloped neck, I felt like I was relearning the instrument. Just too weird of an adjustment for me personally.

Personally, I love the guitar and plan to own one. Ralphie and I were playing it at NAMM like we were possessed

Awesome guitar indeed...

Well, I put 10's on this weekend and gave it a rough set up, but I think I'm going to sell it. I put it up against my rosewood board G&Ls and the Malmsteen's (maple board.) I liked the rounder tone of the rosewood over the biting tone of the maple....plus, I've got a bright amp (Mesa Stiletto) so the two may be fighting against each other. My wife agreed....but told me that the color was awesome. She likes the sonic blue with the maple board color scheme....chicks! Anyway, I'll probably take pics later today on my lunch break and post it up on ebay tonight or Sunday.

Thanks for all your responses! :)

100_1293.jpg

100_1292.jpg

pics of the soonly departed.

I have the dimarzio YJM in the neck of my Zion which I do believe is standard in all of his guitars.

I really like the tones I get with it. Obviously I can nail the Yngwie lead tones but it's also very good for clean and bluesy sounds. I definitely get what I want out of it - a very articulate pickup.

Also the YJM pickups are stacked humbuckers and not single coils, just an FYI. I was under the impression when I first started looking at them that it was a genuine single.

My old guitar teacher had one, I got to play on it many times.

the scalloped frets feel quite a bit different, it takes some time getting used to but it's okay. The only other thing that bothered me while playing was it only has 21 frets, not a huge deal, but for me, it's enough to make me not wanna spend a lot of $ on it.

Back