FRAMUS COBRA and ENGL FIREBALL owners???

• Thread starter Thread starter BURNTHISCORPSE
  • Start date Start date
BURNTHISCORPSE
BURNTHISCORPSE
first the fireball:
i know its similar to a powerball in ways and i love engl !!!! i know tone wise, i couldnt go wrong at all!! the only question i have with the fireball is........full band, 2 guitarists, loud rehearsals, live large clubs.....is it going to be loud enough???? i run my 140watt FJA Penta on like 4.5 .

the cobra:
also, some of you know , some of you dont. i had a cobra and i didnt like it. (for what i was trying to do) (and let alone, through a krankenstein cab) . the one thing i always said,it sounded more mean and pissed off than any head i have ever tried or owned. lots of gain, but not alot of saturation.
so i am maybe wanting to try one again.......especially that the used market makes cobra's available for around $1300-ish. anyone have live experiences with a cobra, and with 2 guitars......do they cut??? are they articulate in a mix???? and longer term.....are they reliable??

If you can find a cobra for 1300 grab it!!!! Hell of a price... If you dont like it again it aint going to be hard to sell it for tha same if not more... Then get tha fireball...

I have owned both and prefer the cobra.

8)

theres no question aboout liking the engl, just if its gonna have enough power

a friend of mine whos on this board likes the fb but it didnt have enough headroom for his band i believe. his name is guitarslingerans talk to that dude. i dont think you will like the cobra, you really hated the last one you had.

i think in a band mix is where the cobra really works it's magic...the agressive sound really cuts thru a mix, without overpowering everything, and the lack of saturation keeps everything nice and clear

i'm in a 2 guitar band, and we've played a lot of gigs where people told us we had the best guitar sound of the night...sometimes that's because the other bands sound shitty, and sometimes the other bands sound pretty good

my other guitarist plays a peavey XXL btw, which is a decent amp and it's very friendly to EQ to fit in the mix with my cobra...sometimes i let him use my 5150 and that works GREAT for the band's mix

you definitely need the right cab for it, and i don't see that krank cab (or most front loaded cabs) being a good match

the fireball looks like a really kickass amp as well, i really want one of those or a powerball myself one of these days

yeah i was scared of the FB not having enough poop. don't get me wrong i LOVE my peavey so far. its tight, articulate and its got a wad of gain with no fizz.

just tossing some ideas around since i am a lil $$ short of a engl SE for a while :twisted:

With a good cab (I use a Mesa 4x12 w/ V30's), the Fireball is loud enough.

i was trying to do more power metal type stuff at the time, and it wasnt working for me. when i tried some other heavy styles it was just brutal. i am thinking now, i may have ben a bit hasty in hating it so much.

my current cab set up is.....stacked not side by side, front loaded hi-watt (birtch) with metal grille . 2- gt75's and 2- eminence 75 watt customs from a diezel cab. also a marshall jcm800 series 1960a with 2- gt75's and two hellatone 60's . the music is actually along the same lines as pete's band, the absence. and listening to his killer tone i am thinking i might be cool with another cobra.

how is the cobra on reliability??

i use mine with my splawn cabs with a governer/manowar x pattern very similar to what you're running in your marshall cab there

i've used mine a lot in the 2+ years i've had it, no hint of a problem anywhere

theres a dude on e-bay like 2.5 hrs from me that has one for $1300. too much for him, he wants the modded marshall sound. well wtf is my penta....peaveys answer to marshall. and its modded all to hell to boot. not to mention the $300 custom grille. so i mailed him for a trade. told him i would drive down even. we'll see :wink:

300 dollar grill? Holy crap! Got any pics? Does it have spinners?

here...... it didn't cost me a dime, but the steel is surgical grade polished stainless, its really expensive,
\

100_0762.jpg
100_0763.jpg

Back