fret worn down..what fretwire?dunlop?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
well i have a maple neck/board .. the frets are worn down and i need to get it replaced?
what are some good ones? btw do fretwire change the tone of the guitar?

I like Dunlop 6100, getting SS frets will change your tone, I doubt changing fret gauge will if you go with nickel

A refret with any wire can alter the sound because the refret will be a different install than what was done originally. Personally I would go stainless, but that is a personal choice.

Nickel or stainless, you want Jescar wire.

Ayrton":9hvk5quz said:
A refret with any wire can alter the sound because the refret will be a different install than what was done originally. Personally I would go stainless, but that is a personal choice.

Nickel or stainless, you want Jescar wire.

I agree with the above, but in my case I went not only from N/S to Jescar brand Stainless, but from 6150 sized to 6100 sized frets on 4 PRS Guitars. Honestly, I did not hear a huge sonic shift at all and I did not hear the "ping" that some claim to hear with SS. What did shift, and this is simply the laws of physics, is that the taller frets mandated a lighter touch, and I attribute any tonal changes more to that than anything. I don't doubt that some hear something with SS, but I certainly don't.

Regardless, I think the skills of the luthier have alot to do with how these things work out, and I was fortunate to have access to Michael Tuttle, who's skills are at the apex of the art.

Jescar wire for sure. Size is up to you though, no one can tell you what you like. Just base it off other guitars you have or have played that you like.

XSSIVE":72lbp5ab said:
Jescar wire for sure. Size is up to you though, no one can tell you what you like. Just base it off other guitars you have or have played that you like.

Good point!

Back