Friedman Pink Taco, Mini Dirty Shirley or Runt 20 ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Del Rei
  • Start date Start date
Del Rei
Del Rei
Hey, guys.

I have a Smallbox that I use with my 2x12", and I'm really happy with it. Best tone ever. :D

But I'm wondering about a smaller gear, for some smalls gigs.... And These mini heads came across my mind. And I would match with 1x12" I have.

So, I have 02 questions.

1) Why the Runt 20 is $200 cheaper than PT/DSM and also have a lot more features...? (2 channel, boost, XLR...) Any special reason for "simple" amps to be more expensive than the "lot-of-features" amp?

2) For a Slash (Appetite) and ACDC tones which one should I get?

Thank you guys!

1) The price difference is because the Runts are PCB while the DSM and PT are hand wired.
2) I've never played a Runt but I have a PT and DSM. They both can do AC/DC and GnR. In short I'd describe the DSM as more vintage Marshall (looser, plexi/JTM voicing) and the PT is more modern/modded Marshall (tighter and more aggressive than the DSM).

marshall2553":9uzdhdrh said:
1) The price difference is because the Runts are PCB while the DSM and PT are hand wired.
2) I've never played a Runt but I have a PT and DSM. They both can do AC/DC and GnR. In short I'd describe the DSM as more vintage Marshall (looser, plexi/JTM voicing) and the PT is more modern/modded Marshall (tighter and more aggressive than the DSM).

Hey, man.
Thank you for helping.

About the construction, I didn't realize that. Thanks!

So, as both can get my desired tone, and as I consider my Smallbox a tight voiced amp, maybe should be nice to consider the DSM for a variety of tones.....

The PT is a bit smaller head, right? I'm asking that because my 1x12" is 46cm. And I'm worried about the cab being smaller than the head...... :no:

Del Rei":91jtc6d6 said:
marshall2553":91jtc6d6 said:

Hey, man.
Thank you for helping.

So, as both can get my desired tone, and as I consider my Smallbox a tight voiced amp, maybe should be nice to consider the DSM for a variety of tones.....

The PT is a bit smaller head, right? I'm asking that because my 1x12" is 46cm. And I'm worried about the cab being smaller than the head...... :no:
It should just fit, it's a hair over 45cm wide. If you have a SB I'd say go for the DSM. I have a Smallbox too and the PT is voiced pretty similarly.

marshall2553":13z3n448 said:
Del Rei":13z3n448 said:
marshall2553":13z3n448 said:

Hey, man.
Thank you for helping.

It should just fit, it's a hair over 45cm wide. If you have a SB I'd say go for the DSM. I have a Smallbox too and the PT is voiced pretty similarly.
I'd echo this. The DS mini has some seriously killer rock tones in it and will be a nice different flavor for you.

From my experience still owning a BE100 and was looking for the best Friedman 20 watter that had more open classic tone and an amp I can get a killer blues and rock tones out of, I went with the Dirty Shirley Mini. When Nashville got one of the first DSM amps in, I spend hours AB'ing both PT20 and the then new DSM. DSM almost seems to have more clarity with a bit of low-end girth and punchy mids, just classic rock and blues tones for days. Cleans up better than the PT20 I think.

But I would seriously demo the Runt 20 as well, cause I haven't played one but if it got even close to the DSM tones, I'd probably went with it.

I'm from Brazil and will come to the USA soon, and hope to find all them on a local store to try side by side. But sometimes it´s not possible, and in this case, I'm trying to choose the best option.

For all the advice I received, MDS is the one.

Back