Fs/t Mesa JP-2C, sold

• Thread starter Thread starter Holy-diver
  • Start date Start date
H
Holy-diver
Excellent shape, comes in original mesa box and a nice padded cover as well as the footswitch and cable. I took the sig logo off because I like it better without but I will put it on or include it as well.

2300 shipped from SoCal

Trades I might like are 7 string guitars, 2 channel rectos, mark vii, Road King II, or worst I can say is no lol

Attachments

• IMG_6195.jpeg
    IMG_6195.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6196.jpeg
    IMG_6196.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6197.jpeg
    IMG_6197.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6198.jpeg
    IMG_6198.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6199.jpeg
    IMG_6199.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6200.jpeg
    IMG_6200.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 56
Do you happen to know if this is one of the newer ones with the Schumacher transformers?

I can check, do you know when they switched over?

S/n is 1256 so not definitive I’ll give mesa a call

S/n is 1256 so not definitive I’ll give mesa a call
I was checking when they came out with a Schumacher and I saw a person with a serial number of 1790 and assembly date of 9-23-21, so I am thinking/guessing 1256 will be a late 2018 or early 2019 amp.

It will be interesting to hear what you find out from Mesa Boogie.

Yeah it’s March 2018 according to Mesa 👍 I had a new one with the same tubes and it seemed identical to me

I’d take one with the older transformers as I think they sound better in my opinion.

What was the difference?
I’m here for this as well. Schumacher designed the OG transformers that everyone claims was so important in the mark IIC series and the early recto, it would have seemed like an upgrade to go back to them from classic tone.

Schumacher makes their transformers in Mexico. Classic Tone made their transformers in the USA.

A large majority of Boutique Amp Manufacturers used Classic Tone transformers. They were well known for their quality and price point.

Unfortunately the pandmic caused Classic Tone to go out of business, which is why Mesa made the switch. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
What was the difference?

I’m here for this as well. Schumacher designed the OG transformers that everyone claims was so important in the mark IIC series and the early recto, it would have seemed like an upgrade to go back to them from classic tone.

Having owned the JP2C with both transformers, I kept the older one with the classic tones. I felt like while the differences were slight tone wise when comparing the 2, the bigger issue I had for me was that the build quality of the schumacher's are terrible. When comparing the two amps side by side I thought the mids were sweeter so I could run them higher and not sound as boxy and the amp was slightly clearer sounding with the classic tones.

Having owned the JP2C with both transformers, I kept the older one with the classic tones. I felt like while the differences were slight tone wise when comparing the 2, the bigger issue I had for me was that the build quality of the schumacher's are terrible. When comparing the two amps side by side I thought the mids were sweeter so I could run them higher and not sound as boxy and the amp was slightly clearer sounding with the classic tones.
I have an OCD thing that requires me to always purchase "2" of the same amps (and preamps), so I can compare them with different tubes as well as different settings to see what sounds better to me.

I don't believe those two JP-2C amps would have had the same tubes in them since Mesa Boogie has used different tubes over the years (preamp and power tubes) due to tube shortages/stock/availability (something that has changed/affected the tone of the amps for good/bad and personally annoyed the hell out of me).

Do you remember if the tubes were the same exact tubes?

I have two JP-2C's and I did find they sounded different initially until I had swapped out the tubes that were different.

Now they sound more like the same amp once the tubes are/were the same in each amp.

The JP-2C is a great amp with either transformer, however, the sound can be affected (slightly or a lot) by the tubes, the guitar, the pick-ups, the cab, the pick, ...... :cool:

Fortunately, these are the cheaper things to change up for tonal differences and even the feel of the amp.

I always tell friends to explore using other things to get their ideal tone like the tubes, the guitar, the pick-ups, the cab, the pick, ...... before getting rid of the amp if they had heard the amp somewhere (local-show, concert, YouTube, .....) where they had initially felt the amp sounded great to them.

Unfortunately, the ideal tone for each of us can be a very subjective thing :dunno:

However, this version or the latest one will still give a person some GREAT amp tones and playing experiences!!

I have an OCD thing that requires me to always purchase "2" of the same amps (and preamps), so I can compare them with different tubes as well as different settings to see what sounds better to me.

I don't believe those two JP-2C amps would have had the same tubes in them since Mesa Boogie has used different tubes over the years (preamp and power tubes) due to tube shortages/stock/availability (something that has changed/affected the tone of the amps for good/bad and personally annoyed the hell out of me).

Do you remember if the tubes were the same exact tubes?

I have two JP-2C's and I did find they sounded different initially until I had swapped out the tubes that were different.

Now they sound more like the same amp once the tubes are/were the same in each amp.

The JP-2C is a great amp with either transformer, however, the sound can be affected (slightly or a lot) by the tubes, the guitar, the pick-ups, the cab, the pick, ...... :cool:

Fortunately, these are the cheaper things to change up for tonal differences and even the feel of the amp.

I always tell friends to explore using other things to get their ideal tone like the tubes, the guitar, the pick-ups, the cab, the pick, ...... before getting rid of the amp if they had heard the amp somewhere (local-show, concert, YouTube, .....) where they had initially felt the amp sounded great to them.

Unfortunately, the ideal tone for each of us can be a very subjective thing :dunno:

However, this version or the latest one will still give a person some GREAT amp tones and playing experiences!!

Yes, they had the same tubes and same color power tube.

I bought a 2nd JP2C because of the buzz around the "upgraded" transformers and having liked my original so much and the used market at the time, I felt like I had nothing to lose. I have an amp switcher and honestly went back in forth for hours a couple nights out of the week and finally after trying to get the newer JP2C to sound "better" to me than my old one, I decided to return it. They both sound good, and again very slight tone differences, I felt like the old one just sounded better to my ears for the reasons above.

Back