Furman PQ-3???

• Thread starter Thread starter Juggernaut
  • Start date Start date
Juggernaut
Juggernaut
Tell me about them, I found one pretty cheap, and have always heard good things.

Would it make a good addition to my rack set-up?

I don't know how cheap is "cheap", but if it were me, I'd pick it up and find out for myself. I am very curious about the use and benefits of EQ.

$80

Compared to the couple hundred they usually go for on fleabay and the Dean forums....

I thought if I didnt like it, I could always make a few bucks on it.

>|<>QBB<
Juggernaut":3356c said:
$80

Compared to the couple hundred they usually go for on fleabay and the Dean forums....

I thought if I didnt like it, I could always make a few bucks on it.

For that price grab it dude!!!

They are awesome, i use mine with almost every rig i use. Sounds killer and can get a lot of different tones!

I figured as much.....Got it on hold.

Waiting for a friend to bring me some $$$, then I'll go get it. :D

these things are bad ass. 80 bucks cant be beat. i have a pq3 and a pq4 but my pq4 came not working and i never fixed it. way better than graphic eq's imo.

>|<>QBB<
again with this":ad2b3 said:
I don't know how cheap is "cheap", but if it were me, I'd pick it up and find out for myself. I am very curious about the use and benefits of EQ.

i dont know about the furman
but i do hear good things about it :)

i have a 1 / 3 / 5 Band PEQ in my Digitech 2101
all i can say is WOW its awsome in the loop
for that death metal tone :twisted:

I think there are 2 PQ-3's that look similar and one is more desirable. I can't remember the details :(...

the green faced one is the more desirable....I'm guessing its the whole "it's the one Dimebag used" thing....which I could care less about as long as it helps with MY tone. :D

I own the black faced version with the Red knobs and the push button to turn the EQ section on/off. I think mines a mid 80s model, and it sounds amazing!

Im pretty sure Ralph has the same one i have too, and he's a huge fan of the PQ-3!

>|<>QBB<
Juggernaut":5b02d said:
the green faced one is the more desirable....I'm guessing its the whole "it's the one Dimebag used" thing....which I could care less about as long as it helps with MY tone. :D

Yeah, that's it. That's not the reason why. It has something to do with all that technical mumbo jumbo.
When you need to sell it, I got first dibs!

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":0dce4 said:
I've owned two and currently have one. There are a few different versions, but I'm not a big expert or anything.

- Green faceplate with no front input (original model I think?)
- Black faceplate with toggle to switch on and off (this is the one I have now)
- Black faceplate with pushbutton to switch on and off
- Green faceplate with front input (I think this is the reissue?)

I think I have that right... I had the "reissue" before and sold it like an idiot. Now I have the second one listed above. I don't use it anymore, but I'm keeping it around. It's great to run in a series effects loop and use to tailor your amps tone. VERY cool.

Chris

Hey Chris, iv heard a few different PQ-3s(greenface original, redface w/ push button etc), i dont buy the whole "this one sounds better" deal. Do you?

I think the redface models are probably better, not tonally but due to less noise than the original.. the first model is old and the old components are noisier than the later models!

Well now you guys have me excited about getting one.

Have you tried pushing the front of an amp with one? just curious, the Butcher doesnt have a loop, and I'm curious what it would do to it.

I run it like this:

Guitar -> PQ-3 low input -> PQ-3 low output -> Rocktron Guitar Silencer -> Cameron modded JMP

I mainly boost at 800hz-1000hz, bandwidth at 12 or 1 o clock, 15db. It sounds awesome man, gets a real amazing lead tone. You can absolutely nail Lynch/Demartini type lead tones with the PQ3 in the front end!

Back