G-Force vs G-System

• Thread starter Thread starter edgemeister
  • Start date Start date
edgemeister
edgemeister
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me...

I've got a Diezel VH4 and I've just ordered a Custom live in case for it with 3 rack spaces above it.

One of the spaces will oviously be for A furman power conditioner, and before I read aboutt the g-system, the g force was going to be my 2nd buy.

However I am unsure which of the 2 units are better. I'm looking for the unit that alters my tone the least and has the best quality effects. The floorboard is a plus for the g-system however I'd gladly give that up if the g-force was the better option.

I emailed the TC electronic support and got the following answer:

Customer (John Egerton) - 01/17/2007 04:25 PM
hi there, i was wondering if you could help me...

I would like to buy wither the g-force or the g-system however I'm unsure of which one to buy.

things such as the floorboard and other features of the g-system, which of the 2 units are better for sound quality? I would like to go with the most professional unit as I'm building a full rack setup.

I've heard that the g-force is very transparent and this would be ideal, however does the g-system better this due to it being a new unit?

what are the differences between these 2 units apart fromt he obvious ones?

Thanks

John

Hi John,
Both units are great. What you should probably consider is, that the G-Force was originally intended as a studio processor for guitar. It is great for a lot of applications, but if you requires near instant switching of presets and relays, then the G-System would probably be a better choice. It has faster switching, an extensive loop system, and can be intergrated in most setups. As you mention it also has the floor board. The sound is great on both units.
Both units are proffesional but if you are building a live setup, I would go for the G-System.

Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to update this incident.

..:: Rune - TC support ::..

Any ideas guys?

Cheers,

John

Sound quality is roughly the same I believe. The G-Force is more versatile and has better effects though. I don't think the G-System can do intelligent pitch shifting.

Thanks for replying,

Thats what i thought, however intelligent picth shifting has been added in the latest patch to the g-system....

I really don't knwo what to go with...

If that's true, then it just depends on how much versatility you need. The G-Force will always be more versatile as you can choose any MIDI pedal in the world to pair with it. If you like the all-in-one unit of the G-System, get that. If you need the utmost versatility in a rig, get the G-Force.

from what I can see, the g-system accepts midi program changes...

If someone can assure me 100% that the sound quality of the g-system matches the g-force then i guess i'l got with the g-system purely for the floorboard and the ability to tidy up my rig witht he inserts...

I don't want my tone mucking up becuase of a bad choice of gear.

Search www.hugeracksinc.com and see if there are any instances of tone suckage.

well i haven't used either system, i would buy the g-system for the foot controller options.

I have a G-force ... It's very good but the G-system operates at 96 kHz vs. 44.1 on the G force, that is a difference you can hear IMO, a/d and d/a converter latency is shorter ... I use the G force for really wacko fx and at that it's a killer unit, it's modulation capabilities are incredible but it's not what I'd call a warm sounding unit, one thing I thought sucked about the g force is that you cant sync its delay to midi clock, which is a feature I use a lot in the studio, it's reverb is also very crappy sounding next to a lexi or eventide, its delays, filters, pitch shifter, phaser and chorus / flanger sound great though

>|<>QBB<
M4®1Ø":84f3d said:
I have a G-force ... It's very good but the G-system operates at 96 kHz vs. 44.1 on the G force, that is a difference you can hear IMO, a/d and d/a converter latency is shorter ...

The difference on paper is correct but the converters in the G-System do NOT sound as good as the G-Force. I a/b-ed both for a couple of hours and the GForce sounds a lot better than the G-System. Using the except same preset on both made the GSys sound as it was muddying up the tone while the GF retained the clarity.

Thanks for the info lordriffenstien...

I'll probably go with the G-Force then...

I like to put a Keeley DS-1 in front of my amp so I'm going to get one of those Leele True bypass midi switchers and stick my korg kaoss pad in the 2nd loop.

Only problem is my whammy...

I own a WH-1 and wished it was midi controllable... for ease of use I might use the whammy in the G-Force if its any good...

What's everyones experience with the whammy in the G-Force? If its any good I might keep my WH-1 for recording purposes and use the G-Force whammy for live uses... That way I've completely compacted my floor setup to a single midi controller which is a massive relief.

Cheers,

John

On Dave Weiner's (supporting guitarist for Vai) forum there is a thread on that topic:

http://daveweiner.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=136

Hope this helps!

I've been going through this same dilemma. The G-system looks so nice but the G-force looks like much more bang for the buck. Now their the same price.

Think I'm going to go with the G-force as well.

Thanks for the all the info!!!

:|::QBB:
lordriffenstein":a9243 said:
>|<>QBB<

The difference on paper is correct but the converters in the G-System do NOT sound as good as the G-Force. I a/b-ed both for a couple of hours and the GForce sounds a lot better than the G-System. Using the except same preset on both made the GSys sound as it was muddying up the tone while the GF retained the clarity.

This has been my experience as well.

Back