Genz Benz El Diablo 100, Thoughts?

prsplayer86

There is a El Diablo 100 for sale locally at a decent price. Has anyone ever played one? If so, what would you compare it too tone wise ?

I'm curious if its a decent amp or not... Never gotten to play one before.

I actually had some time to spend with one and I say that they are waaaaay under rated. Great cleans, great mid gain and GREAT high gain. The EQ is sensitive but Pft.....that's all.

1meanplexi":3tenm2b8 said:
I actually had some time to spend with one and I say that they are waaaaay under rated. Great cleans, great mid gain and GREAT high gain. The EQ is sensitive but Pft.....that's all.

Hmm... would you say 450 with a head cover and footswitch is a good deal ?

prsplayer86":cqvbudxd said:
1meanplexi":cqvbudxd said:

I never played one....but was checking into them a couple years back. Yah that seems like an excellent deal. :thumbsup:

Never played one. Never even seen one. But, FWIW, when it came out, that had to be the most universally negatively reviewed amp I have ever seen. I was clearly not to most folks liking. I think most most of the folks I heard speaking of it were looking for a metal machine and it wasn't one.

prsplayer86":2y8lemk4 said:
1meanplexi":2y8lemk4 said:

Yes. That is a great deal for this head. I used to gig with one exclusivly. Very underrated

I read about them and wanted to try one for awhile, I have two of the Genz Benz G-Flex cabs and I love them. My guitar teacher was selling the 60 watt versions for $400. He lent it to me and I tried it out for a couple of day and just couldn't jive with it, and I really wanted to.

There was a good thread about them on the Seymour Duncan forum where they discussed power tubes, some people prefer the 6L6's over the stock EL34's, they said the 6L6's work much better for metal. The amp like my cabs are built like tanks, awesome build quality. If you like the sound then it sounds like a good deal.

I don't post much around here any more, but when I do it's important. The Genz Benz El Diablo is a piece of shit. Total tone fizz. I'm not a metal player, I like hard rock and classic rock tones. I have owned a mark IV, Peavy JSX, Tremoverb, and currently own a Bogner Shiva. I like my POD HD better for metal and rock tones that the fizz fest solid state sound that came out of the Genz Benz. I would only get one if someone was paying me to take it off their hands.

Consider yourself warned.

Well I suppose I'm just going to try to play this thing.. I know the guy will pull the "I don't have a cab to play it through" BS, but for that price it might be a kick ass back up..

Thanks for the Input, all of the demos online had shit quality or were just dated.

Thoughts...........

Kill it with Fire
Throw it off a bridge
Feed it to the sharks
Better yet, send it straight to hell back to Diablo himself

Dull
Uninspiring
Lifeless

Mesa\Kramer":3vfg2as1 said:
Thoughts...........

Kill it with Fire
Throw it off a bridge
Feed it to the sharks
Better yet, send it straight to hell back to Diablo himself

Dull
Uninspiring
Lifeless
So your saying it wasn't your cup of tea...?!

I used one at an open jam once. I remember it sounded really good, and I got a good tone easily.

The name is misleading. The marketing department really dropped the ball here. It sounds like it wants to be a metal amp. Not even close.

my friend had one, and that giant 2 x 12 cab they make. I thought it sounded like shit, but that's my opinion. like the guy who posted above, you would actually have to pay me to own one, and then I still would not play it.

1meanplexi":ezw7tcwc said:
roodboy":ezw7tcwc said:
There are a lot of haters out there for this amp.
I had the 60w combo, liked it better with el34's.
IIRC it has an active eq so you don't eq it the same as a regular amp.
Use your ears not your eyes.
I think its well built.
Here is a sample settings sheet that may help you out
http://www.genzbenz.com/img/manuals/gb/ ... manual.pdf

Totally agree with this.

After this mass exodus of cash from my bank that this Christmas did to me, I'll wait on even trying it out.

But I agree with both of you (trust your ears and not your eyes). I've got an amp that most people bash heavily and sounds amazing(at least when I play it)... I have even removed the nameplate on it and get a stupid amount of compliments on its tone ,nightly. I think most people "see" what they've read isn't a good sounding amp and then they automatically internalize it.

That said, there are a large number of people who just hated how it sounded.

Back