Gibson 498T or Dirty Fingers?

• Thread starter Thread starter PurityS.L.G
  • Start date Start date
PurityS.L.G
PurityS.L.G
Which do you guys prefer for a classic raunchy LP tone? I’m aware this is alnico vs ceramic so we can leave that aspect out. If I wasn’t a huge fan of the 500T would I feel the same about the DF? A friend of mine who plays out of a DF loaded LP says they aren’t close but I feel like the clips I hear on YT say otherwise, even if it’s YT.

I’ve never owned the 498T but it seems to sound damn close to what I’m looking for. Would appreciate your guys’ opinions

498T is what’s in my 76 wine red Les Paul

It reminds me of softer glam hair metal tones. Not anywhere near ass aggressive for downtuning but it has mids that sound balanced and a great solo tone that’s warm and balanced. It’s a middle of the road pickup that can do it all but nothing insanely well. I like it more than a JB but less than a distortion. I’ve considered ripping it out and putting in a 500T.

498T works better in bright guitars, if you have a dark guitar already you’re going to hate the top end note rolloff.

Picture tax:

IMG_1709.jpeg
IMG_1708.jpeg
IMG_1713.jpeg

498T works better in bright guitars, if you have a dark guitar already you’re going to hate the top end note rolloff.
I found it acceptably bright in the bridge of an ES-333 into a big plexi and 4x12. Thing smoked but was a little hotter in the bridge than a blues guy would generally need. It had a good bite to it. I liked it better than the JB I yanked from my Edwards LP.

I found it acceptably bright in the bridge of an ES-333 into a big plexi and 4x12. Thing smoked but was a little hotter in the bridge than a blues guy would generally need. It had a good bite to it. I liked it better than the JB I yanked from my Edwards LP.
That’s how I’d rate it too - better than a JB but not as good as a ceramic magnet high output option.

It’s balanced like I said. But it’s not going to save you if you have a dark sounding guitar.

It's been forever since I last played 498T's and not sure if I ever tried the reissue Dirty Finger's, but the originals imo definitely have raunchiness as part of their forte. I don't know if I'd call it "classic raunchy LP tone", but they sound raw with a huge low end. If you want a raw high output pickup I'd also consider some of the '80's Schaller's. They're killer and cheap

The 498 is kind of like a JB but less output, less pronounce midrange hump and less bass cut. I have a 498T and 490R in the guitar I use the most these days with the band.

I just didn't like the rawness of the DF.....and I love the SD Distortion and 500T. The DF made me want to play country music. The big belt buckle stuff.

Last edited:
That’s how I’d rate it too - better than a JB but not as good as a ceramic magnet high output option.
It sounds like my Lollar DB with more compression on the top end. Both are alnico 5s. I don't do high gain so I never have ran ceramic.The factory 490r/498t set was def underrated IMO. No experience with the DF's except a homie of mine had some in a V and he killed some blues with that beast. Every time I come into contact with Gibson pickups, I am more or less satisfied. Every time I try a set of Duncans I'm not. Not sure what figures there....

I don't like the 500T, pulled it out of my LP Classic and Explorer. Just a flat, lifeless pickup, imo.
I quite like the Psykes, ToneNerd DF clone, that's in my Explorer now.
Can't remember the last time I played a 498t.

I love the 498-t I just bought one and put it in one of my guitars last week. I found the 500 a bit harsh and bright for my taste.

I don't like the 500T, pulled it out of my LP Classic and Explorer. Just a flat, lifeless pickup, imo.
I quite like the Psykes, ToneNerd DF clone, that's in my Explorer now.
Can't remember the last time I played a 498t.
See I love the 500T. To me, it and the Tremonti pup are as close as you are going to get to a ceramic sounding like an Alnico in terms of feel, harmonics but with more aggressive output. I love the 500T in my Les Pauls and the stock Tremonti pup in my Tremonti guitars. Btw/ I also have a Psykes in one of my LP Customs that I dig as well. No experience with an original DF and agree with others on the 498T, good pickup, does alot of things well. A tamer JB.

Now I can see where the 500T my be a little dark or flat in an all Mahogany guitar but again this is why I always say - IMO you gotta try the things for yourself to really hear and feel what you like.

This is a good example of one person not liking them and another loving them.

The vintage DFs that I have remind me somewhat of an MCP Afwayu, but MUCH better. Mids are great but not prominent, BIG lows and the clarity/feel is the best of any pickup I've played. Not played a 498T though.
Scotts Psykes is also very very good...not as good as the original but it also isn't 300$ per pickup either.

498T is what’s in my 76 wine red Les Paul

It reminds me of softer glam hair metal tones. Not anywhere near ass aggressive for downtuning but it has mids that sound balanced and a great solo tone that’s warm and balanced. It’s a middle of the road pickup that can do it all but nothing insanely well. I like it more than a JB but less than a distortion. I’ve considered ripping it out and putting in a 500T.

Picture tax:

View attachment 348611View attachment 348614View attachment 348617
LOVE THIS GUITAR!!!

It's been forever since I last played 498T's and not sure if I ever tried the reissue Dirty Finger's, but the originals imo definitely have raunchiness as part of their forte. I don't know if I'd call it "classic raunchy LP tone", but they sound raw with a huge low end. If you want a raw high output pickup I'd also consider some of the '80's Schaller's. They're killer and cheap
SSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I like and understand the Schaller thing...I have some...but...I can't use them because they CANNOT not feedback. Classic rock only pickup. For me anyway.
I only have that with their lower outpaf paf-ish models. They all have noise, but compared in the same guitars the vintage DF's and MM's were noisier IME than Schaller’s high output ceramic models and those certainly are not classic rock pickups. If anything I feel metal or shred only with those ones

Last edited:
I went down that rabbit hole last night. I’m VERY intrigued 🤣
Prepare to be uninspired by the recent made pickups that guys praise here lol. The only model I didn't care for much was the Hex bridge

I will say these great vintage hot pickups by Schaller, Dirty Fingers, Bill Lawrence, Mighty Mite and a few others tend to be very over the top in saturation, gain and all that despite what the DC reading may suggest, but I love it. As one example, in the same guitar going from a Wagner Iron Man (DC in the 20's) to a vintage Mighty Mite 1400 at ~9k, the Iron Man seemed almost dry and low gain in comparison lol and more importantly comparatively sterile and boring to play despite how much I used to really love those pickups

Last edited:
The vintage DFs that I have remind me somewhat of an MCP Afwayu, but MUCH better. Mids are great but not prominent, BIG lows and the clarity/feel is the best of any pickup I've played. Not played a 498T though.
Scotts Psykes is also very very good...not as good as the original but it also isn't 300$ per pickup either.
Agreed, scooped mids, but in a pleasing way and possibly the biggest low end I've heard in a pickup so far, but still pretty tight. For high output pickups they do have the most rawness and feel for me too, although my fluke Shaw PAF type at 16k is about equal there, but has the PAF flavor vs the ceramic DF sound

For clarity, feel, rawness, all the good stuff, the only way to get better IME is with stuff like the '50's and '60's pickups by Gretsch, Guild, Gibson and some strangely underrated pickups of that era

Back