Giving my Flying-V a new life !! Fixed bridge to Floyd rose

• Thread starter Thread starter stefvorcide
  • Start date Start date
stefvorcide
stefvorcide
I got an "old" guitar here that needs some love. It was actually made by a luthier here, but since the head stock broke, and the repair job wasn't done professionally, I got it for a steal a few years ago. It's a 7 string old-school-flying-V, all in mahagony, with ebony fret board. Scale length is 24.75 (unlike the other guitars I have..) It plays pretty good now, although the bridge is a relic and I absolutely HATE fixed bridges for some reason, I need my Floyd for lack-of-inspiration dive bomb and locking nuts.

Any tips, pointers ??
Also, she's gonna get a new paint job :rock:

PS: before you guys tells me I better have it done professionally, or sell it, it's out of question currently.

CHEERS! :rock: :rock: :rock:

IMG_0226.jpg

Thanks Tom!! I might convert her to 6-string. The previous owner did that, but he put a bone piece on the bridge, the spacing between strings was larger, kind of like with a classical guitar he said...

but If I do that 7 to 6 strings convertion, i'll just use regular spacing so the strings are "centered" if that makes sence.

I got a question for you luthiers guru's here...... is there any guitars with 24.75 scale with a floyd rose??? Or is it possible just to "change it" to 25.50 with the same frets (and no intonations problems)

thanks !!!!

LP Axcess and Dean ML/Dime guitars are 24.75. The fret positioning is not going to work for 25.5.

Thanks !! I'll leave it with a fixed bridge after some thoughs

Really curious to see how a conversion from 7 to 6 would work out... by "centered" you mean there would be some extra space on the outside of the High and Low E strings? Man that would be really awkward to play... cool guitar tho!!!

Mizati20":z2384p0y said:
Really curious to see how a conversion from 7 to 6 would work out... by "centered" you mean there would be some extra space on the outside of the High and Low E strings? Man that would be really awkward to play... cool guitar tho!!!

Yup! the previous owner has done that. said it worked well for his big fingers

Back