Great read on King's X and Michael Wagner!

Jeff Hilligan

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=106512&page=3&highlight=king%27s+x

The killer of the studio...Randall RM 20 with the XTC module and his old Strat Elite...did the tracks with 7 year old strings!

:|::QBB:
Scott Ians Beard":8f126 said:
Great post. Thanks for the heads up. Looks at dUg's rig. Bass V-amp -> Behringer EQ Pedals, insane!

I also think there is a Ashdown head under the Behringer...he has said its his new head!

Way back 15 years ago or so my wife used to write the King's X fan club stuff and we got to know Ty Tabor pretty well. I built a preamp for his rig out of an old Lab 5 which he then routed into a power amp and then to the speaker cabinets. Things have changed quite a bit from those days.

bill":8a123 said:
Way back 15 years ago or so my wife used to write the King's X fan club stuff and we got to know Ty Tabor pretty well. I built a preamp for his rig out of an old Lab 5 which he then routed into a power amp and then to the speaker cabinets. Things have changed quite a bit from those days.

Cool I have pics of many of his rigs! Especially the old one with the Lab you speak of. Of course running it with a Power Base 1 pa amp doesn't hurt!

The sound was awesome. I took the preamp out of the Lab series cut it in half and spliced the wires togeather so it would fit in a rack mount. Made a custome faceplate etc. It worked and looked good for homemade. I kinda lost touch of those guys lately gotta love the full sound of such a small band.

bill":80420 said:
The sound was awesome. I took the preamp out of the Lab series cut it in half and spliced the wires togeather so it would fit in a rack mount. Made a custome faceplate etc. It worked and looked good for homemade. I kinda lost touch of those guys lately gotta love the full sound of such a small band.

I've got the Strat elite pre amp he built to go with the lab when he had his custom Zions built! That with a lab and you have early Kings X.

I came very close to getting one of his guitars but he felt funny about trading to me due to the fact he got most of his strats for free at the time. It would have been nice to own something like that. Oh well.

bill":10f4c said:

Wow!, the maker of the magic amp. You sir are a legend. I don't know how many people I knew who wanted his sound from that era. People used to try and sneak a look at the magic amp and Ty used to kind of play it up. Was it a Boogie, was it a Marshall, who modded it, etc. best thing since VH's "secret" amp.

You make me out to be more than I certainly am. I just took a stock Lab 5 and made a rack mount out of it so it would be easy to use on tour. I think at the time it was kinda of a secret. These days there are sooo many options for great tone its amazing. I still am using a plain jane vintage 20 watt 1959 Guild for my rig. I do most of the shaping with a vast assortment of pedals. Its more in the hands mind and heart than equipment anyway. Thanks

Yeah, I know that's probably the truth about the situation, but that unknown amp that Ty played really created a buzz. People just couldn't figure out what it could be. Then when he started switching to Boogie, Marshall, etc. and the tone didn't change drastically, I think people started to realize it wasn't just the amp, it was the man.

Thanks for the link,...very cool info in there. I can't wait to hear the new record -- hopefully it will be done soon.

Ty's playing the Elite's again. Man, it's been quite awhile since I've seen him use those.

Bill,

Is this the same preamp that you built that's for sale?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160096218976&rd=1&rd=1

OK, Cool. I don't think I would spend that kind of money, but I sure would like to check that thing out. Love those tones Ty got with it - even though he gets great sounds with anything.

cibyl":4b082 said:
Ty's playing the Elite's again. Man, it's been quite awhile since I've seen him use those.

I really doubt Ty will be playing the Elite's on the road again, that axe was on the verge of being microphonic, but damn could he make it sing. :rock:

OK, Cool. I don't think I would spend that kind of money, but I sure would like to check that thing out. Love those tones Ty got with it - even though he gets great sounds with anything.

Just a thought.
You could find an old Lab Series amp pull out the preamp and send that to an big power amp and then to you speaker cabs. You don't need to power amp part of the L5 just the pre-amp. Its alot of trouble but that would be the way he did it to my knowledge. I don't think its worth it myself but the one I used was under $300 and pretty trashed but the front end of it was still good. I tossed the cabinet and speakers etc.

Back