Half stack / Full stack

• Thread starter Thread starter Ailean
  • Start date Start date
Ailean
Ailean
I'd like to canvass a few opinions on this subject, please note this is for HOME use only.

Here is the reason I'm asking...

I've just bought a Diezel VH4 and 4x12 cab. The VH4 I have, the cab is awaiting construction. I already have and Orange rockerverb 50 and Orange 4x12. However, the Orange cab is 16ohm and the Diezel will be 8ohm so I can't use them as a full stack (well I can, but it won't sound right).

The VH4 is currently kicking the cr@p out of the Rockerverb, I knew it would be better, but, oh my, it's BETTER, I just wasn't expecting that much difference.

So I could sell the Rockerverb and Orange cab and get another Diszel 4x12, which gives me the full stack option, and at a later date, get another head for when Sue (my wife) and I want to play together <insert dirty minded comments as required>.

That way when we want we can have a full stack, and when not we have 2 half stacks.

Am I crazy?

This of course opens up a whole can of worms about what the theoretical 'other' head would be (Eintein, Herbert?) but I have plenty of time to think about that as the VH4 rig has just eaten the gear budget for a while!

Do it, if only for the option of having a Herbie in the near future. :rock:

Halfstack should be ok for at home - depending on how close your neighbors are....I actually use my 4x12 as a 2x12 so my neighbors won't kill me... :D

scottph":1vvvx3xi said:
Do it, if only for the option of having a Herbie in the near future. :rock:

Halfstack should be ok for at home - depending on how close your neighbors are....I actually use my 4x12 as a 2x12 so my neighbors won't kill me... :D

I should have said.. the cab is a hempcone rear loaded, not a V30 front loader as the metalheads seem to prefer. So if I go full stack, do I get another hempcone, or could I get front V30 and use the 2 together? Or am I asking for trouble? I'd say I'm more likely to get 2 hempcones.

I live in a flat, but it's concrete walls between so quite sound proof, and no neighbours adjoining the room we play in, I've had no complaints about the half stack so far :)

Well, the hempcones are - imo - really awesome for rock, pop, maybe even hardrock, but I didn't like them for high-gain metal...

That's what I've heard, hence the question of whether to get another hempcone or if a V30 would complement?

Has anyone tried a V30 with a hempcone?

Yep. I got the first one Peter S. ever built, a week ago or it was 2 weeks ago :/ 2 x Hempcones and 2 x V30s
Sounds pure awesomeness - don't know what else to say :) :rock:

Scott, can you please remind on how to use the 4 x 12" as 2 x 12"? I just plug a spare jack in the second cab input and then have the 16 Ohm output of the amp going to the Mono input?

Right. You plug the cable from the amp (16 Ohm) into the 4x12's left input and another cable into the right input of the 4x12. :)

If I were to get another cab it would probably be a V30/G12K X-pattern. Didn't like the hempcone cab for metal - the one I played at Dillingen a year or so ago...

Thanks a bunch.
I urge you to try the combination! :) I would presume (from doing couple of sample recordings, didn't get the chance to play only 'em) that Hempcones wouldn't sound that great for metal. But in combination with the V30 we think it sounds great :)

Niki

I might do that, but from having played thru a hempcone cab and a V30/G12K cab I tend to lean towards the later...in time...

I'm quite happy with my all-V30 cab right now. :)

That is of course personal, but I am on this cab from V30/G12K, went there from V30 only and now the Hemp/V30 sounds best ;)

Ok, slightly off topic but I didn't want to start a new thread and I'm allowed to hijack my own thread :)

I've heard that the VH4 works best with 8ohm cabs. That's cool, I have one on order. But if I buy another and go full stack then I'm going to be running at 4ohms. Is that going to kill my tone?

On the back of the above info a front loaded V30 4x12 cab is looking likely at some point :D

I doubt your tone will change other than being bigger with two cabs...

Good choice on the fl V30 cab. :thumbsup:

Back