Helmet's gear? VHT + ???

redrol

I know Page uses a Harry Kobe preamp for something but no idea. Also know he loves VHT (pitbulls) now. I've heard he uses Dimarzo pickups in his guitars.

Let me tell you, Helmet is one of my favorite bands and also their live tone is pretty amazing.

How do I achieve it?

Live he has been using UL's striaght out of the box. Back in the 90's, he used a Kolbe head and preamp in a wet/dry setup.
If I'm not mistaken, he had the Kolbe GP1 preamp and a modded 2204 into his Kolbe ported 4x12's. I use to have a few pics of his rig from backstage...

I just found this from an interview with him in Guitar Player....

"How do you get your sound?

I’m trying to keep that process simpler these days, so I’ve been using the same rig in the studio that I use live—two VHT Ultra-Lead half-stacks loaded with Eminence speakers, and a Harry Kolbe preamp. My effects include a DigiTech Whammy, a Tech 21 XXL, a Prescription Electronics Outbox, an Ibanez TS9 with an 808 mod, a Boss NF-1 Noise Gate, an MXR Blue Box, an Analog Man CompROSSor, a’74 Vox wah, a Roland volume pedal, a Korg SDD-2000 digital delay, and a VHT Valvulator. My big, special secret right now is the Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb set to its Modulation setting.

I’m still using custom ESP Horizon guitars with the Floyd Rose systems, because my new signature ESP models with DiMarzio Airzone pickups haven’t had the chance to settle in with the dropped-D tuning. I’ve been using D’Adarrio strings forever—a .010-.052 set. I use thick, Clayton 1.52mm picks, because I have a nerve-damaged thumb from a run in with a beer glass, and I need that thickness in order to feel them."

I figured you would speak up Steve.

two VHT Ultra-Lead half-stacks loaded with Eminence speakers, and a Harry Kolbe preamp

So you figure he runs the preamp into the VHTs? That throws a curveball on me getting a VHT and getting his tone.

Regardless thanks for the info. Im starting to like VHT's a LOT.

:|::QBB:
redrol":e4ee5 said:
I figured you would speak up Steve.

So you figure he runs the preamp into the VHTs? That throws a curveball on me getting a VHT and getting his tone.

Regardless thanks for the info. Im starting to like VHT's a LOT.

I think he actually uses an AB box to switch. I don't think he slaves the preamp so to speak...
I can find out definitely for you later this week...
I'll make a call... :D :D :D

SteveVHT":75c12 said:

I think he actually uses an AB box to switch. I don't think he slaves the preamp so to speak...
I can find out definitely for you later this week...
I'll make a call... :D :D :D

That would be pretty awesome! I'll be waiting for an answer.

As far as their live tone, I know you have seen some of their videos, how does that tone compare to what you are used to with your VHTs?

Every time I've seen them live, Page sounds like he's plugged straight into a UL. It just has that signature VHT bark. I'm talking about his hard hitting chugga type rhythm stuff.
I haven't had time to check out the latest CD, but I'm sure it kicks ass like their older stuff.
I'm pretty sure I could nail those sounds with a UL...:D
Page doesn't go overboard with anything other than his occasional delay and verb... Nothing a decent processor couldn't give you...

SteveVHT":72fc2 said:
Oh...BTW...
The UL LOVES LOVES LOVES that TC Booster+ pedal

OHHHHH shit. Time to start savin my pennies. Im really loving his tone. I love my TC Booster and use it on nearly everything in one way or another. As far as that trademark UL bark, I hear it too and love it. I want that bark.

their new guitarist is a local boy from here (melbourne, AUS).. when he was playin here he was using line 6 stuff,.. i wonder what he's playin now he's with them

He also has used a Kolbe silent speaker and Drawmer gate from what I understand along with VHT power amps.

And yes, some great cutting articulate live tone.

-dave

Back