Here's what the EVHIII EL34 sounds like on the red channel with the gain barely turned up......

• Thread starter Thread starter harddriver
  • Start date Start date
One of my favorite VH songs. Is this you?
I can't find anything about that clip that I don't like....................:unsure::worship: Most say the red channel has so much gain it's useless, but this guy found a way to use it.:yes:

That amp has some tricks up its sleeve. Here's a clip I made with one of these amps, Blue channel, with the gain set just under 1 (not 1:00, but 1 out of 10), or just barely cracked on.

First part of the clip: EMG 89 neck pickup in coil split mode. Next part: 89 in humbucking mode. Last part: EMG 81 in the bridge.
Guitar volume on 10 the whole time. All you hear is pickup changes and playing dynamics.

This amp is surprisingly dynamic and expressive when you don't blast the gain into the stratosphere (which to be fair can be done if you so much as accidentally blink too hard in the amp's direction).

Last edited:
That amp has some tricks up its sleeve. Here's a clip I made with one of these amps, Blue channel, with the gain set just under 1 (not 1:00, but 1 out of 10), or just barely cracked on.

First part of the clip: EMG 89 neck pickup in coil split mode. Next part: 89 in humbucking mode. Last part: EMG 81.
Guitar volume on 10 the whole time. All you hear is pickup changes and playing dynamics.

He posted in the YT comment section that the preamp gain was set at 6:30 o'clock position.

Since you own a 5153, does the pre amp gain on the red channel set to 6:30-7 o'clock sound like his video?

Last edited:
I can't find anything about that clip that I don't like....................:unsure::worship: Most say the red channel has so much gain it's useless, but this guy found a way to use it.:yes:

I have literally never heard anyone say this, like ever. These amps didn’t get this popular because channels are useless on them.

My first 5153, I used the Red for everything. I know everyone LOVES the blue, but I felt the red was better sounding/feeling. Now, the gain was BARELY on but still.....
I used it through a Hendrix B cab with the G12C Greenies. That was by far the best that amp sounded. Sold the cab and the magic was gone.

Didn’t care for that actually. Too peaked and spiky in the top end with any remotely harder picking, while also still being too compressed and smooth in the lower registers.

Last edited:
Didn’t care for that actually. Too peaked and spiky in the top end with any remotely harder picking while also still being too compressed and smooth in the lower registers.
Me too…and the digital clipping was kind of nasty.

I still never got to play the Stealth, but I've played the white 50W 6L6 5153 a few times and I never managed to get the gain knob above 9 o'clock on the red channel.

Good player/playing, but the sound was actually ear fatiguing for me....after a couple minutes it was grating on my ears.

Back