HOLD ON A SECOND!

• Thread starter Thread starter dirtyfunkg
  • Start date Start date
D
dirtyfunkg
When the hell did a JCM-900 High Gain Dual Reverb 100W 4100 head... become a $1900 head? Is there something about this reissue that justifies the $1400 price difference between the original and the new?

What gives? Sweetwater has this amp at $1899.99.

I used to own a 50W Hi Gain Dual Reverb. It wasn't a bad amp. Dave Navarro has making these things sound amazing for the past 20 years. But it's NOT AN $1900 amp! GC had one also for the same price. I couldn't believe it.

The originals go used for $500-600 these days.

Is there anything special about the new ones? Granted I did not try the one in GC, but I know the originals well.

dirtyfunkg":tlwwdd69 said:
Is there anything special about the new ones?

Yes, the Queen personally urinated in the tube sockets. Gives the amp more of a greasy feel and pungent tonality.

if it's more expensive, it HAS to be better.......right?

What makes the JCM 800 reissue a $1900 amp? There are several factors. The dollar has been devalued to the point where anything coming in from the EU is going to cost you a lot more these days. Thank your Government (both parties) for the raping of our economy.

So yeah... A JCM900 reissue costs. $1900.

SFW":i24mbi55 said:
What makes the JCM 800 reissue a $1900 amp? There are several factors. The dollar has been devalued to the point where anything coming in from the EU is going to cost you a lot more these days. Thank your Government (both parties) for the raping of our economy.

This

Actually, the relative exchange rate between the U.S. greenback and British pound has remained relatively stable since 1990.....

Jan 1990 = 0.61
Jan 1995 = 0.64
Jan 2000 = 0.61
Jan 2005 = 0.53
Jan 2010 = 0.62
July 2013 = 0.66

In fact, the value of the U.S. dollar has IMPROVED relative to the British pound over the past 23 years.

Just sayin' ;)

sandman":17k7ra83 said:
SFW":17k7ra83 said:

This

Ditto... plus, in the case of the 800RI you get an FX loop. :D

(And speaking as a new 2203X owner... I'm thrilled with this amp -- despite its high cost.)

A JCM900 s for the Marshall Kool Aid drinkers who think because it says Marshall on it that it will sound good :doh: . And the only thing amazing about Dave Navarro is the women he has banged.

danyeo":2l2boon5 said:
A JCM900 s for the Marshall Kool Aid drinkers who think because it says Marshall on it that it will sound good :doh: . And the only thing amazing about Dave Navarro is the women he has banged.

Though I'm not a fan of the 900's thin tone in general, I've heard some good stuff done on them. Including Navarro doing "Just Because" with JA.

Who knows really, maybe because people are paying more for boutique amps and Marshall figures, "why not"? Dunno.... I don't personally dig on the 4100 but if it suits you pick one up or look for a used one on the cheap.

Funny side note. My son and I are watching Ink Masters on Tuesday and my sister/brother in-law stop by. Brother in law asks, what is Dave Navarro famous for? I start to spit out Jayne's, stint with the Peppers, then I answer, Carmen, he banged Carmen Electra. lol.

I played a 900 for several years. In the context of a band, they do sound very good. They fit nicely into the mix. They also take pedals very well. If I ran across one of dirt cheap, I would have no issues buying another one.

I bought a new Dual Reverb in the early 90s (maybe mid) for $750.

According to this....

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

$750 in 1993 has the same buying power as: $1,212.44 in 2013

And $1212 USD is $1603 Euro to account for a modern currency exchange.

Those are the steps I can do to get that far. Not sure how accurate it is.

Come on. You did NOT get a brand new Dual Rec in the mid-90's for $750! In 1993, a standard black chassis Dual Rec sold direct from Mesa for USD $1,195!

MesaBoogiePriceList1993_zps4c6aa841.jpg

rlord1974":1nyanud0 said:
Come on. You did NOT get a brand new Dual Rec in the mid-90's for $750!
Dual Reverb (JCM900). Yes, I'm pretty sure it was $750 plus some tax. I saved and saved until I had the money.

Oops. Did you change your original post to 'Dual Reverb', or am I just seeing things? :lol: :LOL:

rlord1974":1z8x5pqs said:
Oops. Did you change your original post to 'Dual Reverb', or am I just seeing things? :lol: :LOL:
No, you are seeing things. :) I thought you miss typed rev as rec before you added the pic. I didn't even know what a Mesa was back then. :lol: :LOL:

I think Marshall is just allowing more room for Bugera to sell their jcm900 style amp for around $1000. ;):)

I have seen everything when a jcm900 has been cloned and reissued for crazy money on both. Add to the fact that if I was going to get a jcm900 I would get an slx.

danyeo":2k5oroak said:
I actually have had several opportunities to speak with Mr. Navarro and I gotsta say, he's an alright cat.

Just sayin'...

Back