Home Studio Guys - Diffusion

Kapo_Polenton

Any of you guys with a small home studio using acoustic panels AND diffusion? I finished up my ceiling this week and am finally ready for paint. I've got bulkheads and 7.5 ft ceilings in a small 12x14 room. It's going to be as close to air tight as possible so sound has very limited places it can go. I am going to be installing a lot of thicker panels (3 to 4 inches) but I am wondering about the acoustic panel / diffusers. I will be honest, I like how wood planks over acoustic panels break up the room visually. I think the theory is that it allows higher frequencies to stay in the room vs the low end being absorbed. I see Pete Thorn has them in his room. Many other people use them as well. But I also hear it said that it can mess with your ability to mix accurately because they liven the room. Experiences?

I built a room in our previously unfinished basement using the “golden ratios”

I just added lots of absorption , bass traps in the corners and 4” / 6” panels on the walls.
Insulation in the ceiling between the joists.

Made a huge difference…

With the treatment can actually hear what’s going on before it was so confusing.

Honestly I think in a small space go for maximum absorption. Those reflectors do look cool though.

I built a room in our previously unfinished basement using the “golden ratios”

I just added lots of absorption , bass traps in the corners and 4” / 6” panels on the walls.
Insulation in the ceiling between the joists.

Made a huge difference…

With the treatment can actually hear what’s going on before it was so confusing.

Honestly I think in a small space go for maximum absorption. Those reflectors do look cool though.
So absorption over dispersion?

I have a similar sized room to yours but my ceilings are higher. I have 6 bigger sized panels about 2'x4' and 3" deep Owens Cornings filled traps and a couple of smaller panels, a few diffusors and a tuned bass trap. Start with the absorption and if you have some budget left over, get some diffusors, but imo, they're not vital in a small room. You'll need to train your ears in every different environment you get yourself into, but ime it's like a solid couple of weeks of daily working and listening to get used to your surroundings.

IMHO you need a tiny bit of reflectivity and balanced diffusion if mixing in-room.

Think about it:
If you mix in a totally-dead room you're going to use more 'verb than you would otherwise. Then when somebody plays your material back in a typical domestic setting, it's gonna sound washed-out.

IMHO you need a tiny bit of reflectivity and balanced diffusion if mixing in-room.

Think about it:
If you mix in a totally-dead room you're going to use more 'verb than you would otherwise. Then when somebody plays your material back in a typical domestic setting, it's gonna sound washed-out.

Exactly my thinking.. I also am planning to jam my drum kit on one side of the room and mic it and I want a bit of that high end liveliness back in the sound so it doesn't sound too lifeless.

Back