Hotel California solo was mostly improvised. Amazing !!

• Thread starter Thread starter ElectricVoodoo
  • Start date Start date
ElectricVoodoo
ElectricVoodoo
Just read this article with Don Felder stating that he originally improvised the solo and was starting to edit it with Joe Walsh, when Don Henley told them to leave it as he improvised it originally.

This solo is probably my favorite all time solos and to hear this just blows my mind.

I know alot of people here may be 80's metal guys, self included, but I am die hard classic rocker and love The Eagles.
To think that he improvised that is all kinds of Great :rock:

Article
https://www.iheart.com/news/don-felder- ... nge_module

Unbelievably difficult solo to "nail". Not a-bizillion notes in it...but the feel, phrasing, bends...man is it a real challenge (to me anyways).

Incredible to think they laid that down on the fly...just incredible.

That is a great song and a fantastic solo. Felder was under-rated imo.

I remember get a Guitar For the Practicing Musician mag years and years ago where Hotel California was transcribed and it said something to the effect of "Including the Lost Solo !!" and talked about the solo being improvised. Not all of it was improvised, but parts.

Don tells a different story now. Says he wanted an improvised competitive back and forth with Walsh. Says now Henley walked in as they were tracking and said that's not right. It doesn't sound like the demo. Demo was better. So they had a housekeeper or sombody play the demo tape through the phone and recorded it and copied that. So it was worked out way ahead of time. Just watched it on Axs tv last week.

That's what he just said in the article also.
Yes, it has alot if nuances in it. The tone, phrasing, just a killer solo.

Working on it as we speak.

SpiderWars":1fl7gr40 said:
That is a great song and a fantastic solo. Felder was under-rated imo.

underrated? by whom? Duane Allman taught him how to play slide guitar. He taught Tom Petty how to play guitar. He was moving in a different pack. Although my opinion, just overshadowed by Henley and Frey.

Love the Eagles. That is one of the greatest guitar solos of all time. Just read where Felder was added to the Fractal Artist Roster.

That live video where he and Walsh were going back and forth was (still is) my favorite live performance video ever. What a monster band - every single person was just ridiculously talented. And the solo is a melodic masterpiece.

Felder's work on "Victim of Love" on that same album is incredible, too.

Rdodson":1up0hwv9 said:
That live video where he and Walsh were going back and forth was (still is) my favorite live performance video ever. What a monster band - every single person was just ridiculously talented. And the solo is a melodic masterpiece.

Felder's work on "Victim of Love" on that same album is incredible, too.

Mine too! I incorporate some of walsh's add ons from that live solo Your talking about, when I play along to the backing track.

Those two were so awesome on that!
Your words summed them up perfectly!

Back