How different is the GoodWood from the GodWood?

battery198

How different is the older Goodwood from the new one?

I want that vintage vibe, but i still want enough crunch to play hard rock/punk style riffs. Is the Godwood a better bet with the hotter winding?

I just thought it was a typo. The Godwood will get you some moderate output vintage vibe on the bridge. Sold mine though.

I have an Ironman/Darkburst combo in one of my McNaughts, and this is an ass kicking combo. Not up to par with the MCP Black belts, but close.

Steve

I kind of disagree with the above post. The Godwood is pretty darn hot and can cover just about everything aside from detuned death metal stuff. I believe it measures around 11k but that really doesn't mean a whole lot. I think the "Goodwood" was less output and more vintage.

I've yet to find a more versatile/better sounding pickup in a Les Paul. YMMV.

Here a short clip of my Godwood and my amp isn't considered "high gain" compared to some amps around here.

http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=9338

battery198":3nova43e said:
How different is the older Goodwood from the new one?

I want that vintage vibe, but i still want enough crunch to play hard rock/punk style riffs. Is the Godwood a better bet with the hotter winding?

I didn't realize there where 2 different versions?

The original Goodwood bridge was about 9.7k. The Godwood is slightly hotter, 9.9k, I believe. I have three, paired with a Darkburst neck in my Explorer, a Crossroads in my Fool SG (the American Steele set), and one is in my 68 Les Paul Custom (no not a reissue, an original 68) alone with the T-Top in the neck.

Great sounding pickups.

I think the MC Blackbelt 2's are a fine set as well. That's in my demo LP Custom (Orville), actually. Pretty thick sounding.

GoodWood = Above average wood.
GodWood = Divine Wood?

:dunno:

battery198":ctjgmgsi said:
Hey Steve,

How does the MCP Black belts compare to the Afwayu in a les paul?

Definitely go with BB's in a mahogany bodied LP type guitar. They Afwayu for a thin body ash, alder, etc.

troublehead":21tyh3fg said:
I kind of disagree with the above post. The Godwood is pretty darn hot and can cover just about everything aside from detuned death metal stuff. I believe it measures around 11k but that really doesn't mean a whole lot. I think the "Goodwood" was less output and more vintage.

I've yet to find a more versatile/better sounding pickup in a Les Paul. YMMV.

Here a short clip of my Godwood and my amp isn't considered "high gain" compared to some amps around here.

http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=9338

Maybe Wagoner messed up and sent me a Goodwood and not a Godwood. Since they are delivered in Bubble wrap with no box or markings to indicate other than a color code for bridge or neck, it could have been the wrong one. Sold them anyway.

Steve

It's mostly semantics. Goodwood was a Les Paul Forum guy that had Jim make him a pickup to those specs. Jim started making the pickup into production, and called it that. Kind of like Wolfetone did with the Caretakers, and the Marshallheads. Later, I think there was a spat between them, and Jim changed the name. Or maybe Goodwood started a business besides the snow plowing and copyrighted the name. I don't know. regardless, Jim at WCR changed the name so it wouldn't be the same as the other guys name.

Back