How important is a video card for a recording rig?

• Thread starter Thread starter Digital Jams
  • Start date Start date
Digital Jams
Digital Jams
I will be running dual displays and the apps will be FL Producer, BFD, and either Samplitude or Cubase 4 all running together plus other assorted plug-ins. I know I do not need an SLI rig but I do know that I want a dedicated vid board doing the vid processing and not the CPU.

This the one I am looking at now......

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

jesus h christ, that card is for gaming and shit and you'll be using it for a recording rig?

definitely overkill imo.

any card capable of dual displays made in the past 3 - 4 years should be able to handle what you throw at it just running sound apps.

Yeah, I was thinking that but I just don't want to upgrade the card later on and Vista is a resource freaking hog.

That's definitely overkill. I can't see an operating system needing anything remotely near that, because no games I have really need anything remotely near that.

You can get 7600GTs for like $100ish now. That's still crazy overkill, but a 7900GT is a bit on the pricey side.

>|<>QBB<
OneArmedScissor":51073 said:
That's definitely overkill. I can't see an operating system needing anything remotely near that, because no games I have really need anything remotely near that.

You can get 7600GTs for like $100ish now. That's still crazy overkill, but a 7900GT is a bit on the pricey side.

I will save about $80 will the 7600GT 256meg, so that one is good? That will fund the data HD for sure....thanks OAS.

Well, Jams. Here's the deal, Aero has all that crap going on. A 7600 would do fine, just ensure it does HDCP and same with your monitor or else, you won't like the picture if you decide to watch video. Since you're mentioning Vista compliance. [Microsoft made DRM libraries mandatory for every output including display where if your monitor doesn't have HDCP support, it blurs out on video]

Edit: Video card has no influence in terms of performance unless you have a motherboard with an IGP where it steals RAM for video memory. The only benefit would be the Aero interface and dual DVI heads which is good for dual LCDs. Remember people, when using an LCD always make sure to use the digital connection (DVI) if you can.

Thanks guys, I am going with the 7600GT. What you say makes sense.

Back