I am loving my RG550! !

• Thread starter Thread starter ElectricVoodoo
  • Start date Start date
ElectricVoodoo
ElectricVoodoo
So I'm on my 3rd week with it and I love it!!
I'm compelled to play classic metal on it lol

Here's a quick vid from Saturday.
Seriously. ..a great guitar imo.

Is that a vintage 550? Or reissue? For years my backup to my USA Hamer was an 87 black RG550 that I bought for 200 bucks from a guy that won it in a Guitar For the Practicing Musician magazine giveaway. Lol. Great guitar.

Bought a new RG550 Laser Blue (MIJ) in 1992. Still have it. I need to restore it as the clear coat has yellowed, and now its more like Laser Green

ElectricVoodoo":j7seeoon said:
So I'm on my 3rd week with it and I love it!!
I'm compelled to play classic metal on it lol

Here's a quick vid from Saturday.
Seriously. ..a great guitar imo.

Aren't they just awesome! So slick and comfy to play! I've got a bunch of Motor City Pickups inbound to install in mine.

I still have the first "real" guitar I ever bought in 1990(ish)..
A Ibanez pro 540r with the weird "on-off" switch to change pickups..

Those older superstrat Ibanez are killer, it's still one of the best guitar I ever used

not mine, but it's the same
01.jpg

Thanks!
This is the new genesis reissue.
I agree, they really do play effortlessly.
Love having the 24 Frets also !!

I also love this edge tremolo. Has yet to really go out of tune. The weather has been wild lately and the guitar has been hanging in there. Cannot say enough about it.
I already want either another color, or the rg570..

Thanks again !!

Looks great, I do love those guitars. It's just right in that rice range where there are a bunch of things I'd love to try. But you're not helping, haha

I just got the same one. White RG550. Cool guitar, the neck is so freakishly thin though.

Charvel guy here, never been a big Ibanez fan as honestly they have so many models and the model numbers make no sense to me so I never even tried.

Can someone elaborate on what "good" Ibanez model numbers one should be looking for? (i.e. not made in China, Indonesia etc..)

nigelpkay":eb2p1sc6 said:
Charvel guy here, never been a big Ibanez fan as honestly they have so many models and the model numbers make no sense to me so I never even tried.

Can someone elaborate on what "good" Ibanez model numbers one should be looking for? (i.e. not made in China, Indonesia etc..)

The indo made models have gotten a lot better since they first came out. I had an AZ242BC and it was pretty damn impressive. Amazing fit and finish. Effortless to play and sounded great

Well I went back n forth between the 550 and some of the prestige models..also MIJ

Some of the colors weren't really for me.
The $ difference is about 400 or so, some more..

I think these are simply awesome.
If had one and I mean only one complaint.
it's that the bridge amd middle positions are slightly noisy. Especially the middle.

But overall, the PU'S imo sound fine. Maybe an evolution set as a replacement in the upcoming months..

I actually had one of the new rg550 models myself. It played and sounded absolutely amazing but over time I think I’ve come to like a slightly larger neck. I ended up with an easy Tom Quale and it is absolutely amazing.

nigelpkay":2eoobdhe said:

Same here. Haven't had an Ibanez since the 80's. I started out looking at the S series, but your right there are a million models and the model numbers are mind boggling trying to wrap your head around whats good and whats junk is tough. I knew of the RG550 series and since you can buy a new made in Japan, now that they reissued them was a no brainer.

ElectricVoodoo":calvglka said:
Thanks!
This is the new genesis reissue.
I agree, they really do play effortlessly.
Love having the 24 Frets also !!

I also love this edge tremolo. Has yet to really go out of tune. The weather has been wild lately and the guitar has been hanging in there. Cannot say enough about it.
I already want either another color, or the rg570..

Thanks again !!
I know right! I used to be an Original Floyd and Gotoh Floyd guy, but the Edge trem blows them out of the water.

The the classic RG550 is a dream machine, plays so effortlessly....takes well to customization tone/enhancement-wise and has a beautiful body/headstock design, the shape of that guitar is perfect, beautiful IMO. Good price to boot! RG550 is my main axe, and I love the original wizard.

Lately I’ve seen some local band guys using their old RG550s on stage again after many years using Gibsons.

Back